• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stant 205°F thermostat doesn't fit

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've read the few threads out there that claim that the Stant 13352 205°F fits the XJ cherokee.

I have a 1999 XJ and the stant thermostat is too long and interferes with the thermostat housing. I can't mount the thermostat housing flush to the engine with that thermostat.

Are there different thermostat housings for these Jeeps that are slightly deeper and will fit that thermostat?

Why do you want to install a 205 stat in yours. They call for a 195.

I don't know the answer to this but I will keep up on this thread to see why anybody would want to run such a high temp t-stat.

Why do you want to install a 205 stat in yours. They call for a 195.

I don't know the answer to this but I will keep up on this thread to see why anybody would want to run such a high temp t-stat.

In 115░F with AC on the Jeep runs about 220 on the highway and seemed to get much better fuel mileage. It's tempting to get a 205 thermostat for better heat in winter, better MPG in winter and less warmup time in summer. Since it is impossible for the Jeep to run a 195 degrees constantly in the summer in Phoenix with the AC on I figure why not. I also like to experiment. Also, maybe it's a little OCD. I dont like seeing the temp gauge slowly creep up and settle around 210. I'd rather it be more consistent.

The Stant 13352 can definitely fit the older XJ's with the water outlet that does not have a coolant sensor, but not the newer ones.

Like I said i'll keep a eye on the thread to see what folks say. I know about heat, I live in Palm Springs. They're talking like 120 to 122 Monday. Only 112 today.

Good luck

Checking the specs on the standard Stant and the 205* Stant. The 205* is about 1/10 inch shorter in both directions from the flange.
Must be some other problem......gasket installed correctly,,,?

Checking the specs on the standard Stant and the 205* Stant. The 205* is about 1/10 inch shorter in both directions from the flange.
Must be some other problem......gasket installed correctly,,,?

Hmmm.

Well if I take the thermostat and lay it on top of the water outlet, the factory one fits flush, but the 13352 Stant doesn't. You can see it is hitting the curved part of the outlet. That's interesting. Where did you find the measurements? Because the thermostat I had was noticeably longer. Maybe there is a variant that is shorter

Hmmm.

Well if I take the thermostat and lay it on top of the water outlet, the factory one fits flush, but the 13352 Stant doesn't. You can see it is hitting the curved part of the outlet. That's interesting. Where did you find the measurements? Because the thermostat I had was noticeably longer. Maybe there is a variant that is shorter

Rockauto,

Stat fits in recess in block,then gasket on top.Should be enough room,break out grinder and make enough.In housing not block.

Rockauto,

Stat fits in recess in block,then gasket on top.Should be enough room,break out grinder and make enough.In housing not block.

Have you done this? I ask because I've already tried to make it fit by grinding and even bending the thermostat flange to get it to sit futher into the engine. The problem is the water outlet does not have as much space in it like the older XJs does.

Using the Hesco thermostat housing spacer, i installed my Stant 13325 205°F thermostat. Now coolant temps are more stable and engine reaches 210 quicker. I figure, since the Jeep runs around 210 during the summer, why bother with a 180 stat

Back