• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalls in Reverse Only

dfulks

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is a 2001 Limited with AW4 160xxx miles.
Whenever I back up a hill the jeep will putter and eventually stall out, this has happened for a while so I avoid backing out of spots. Today it acted up on flat surface right after I started it. I am curious to if anyone has experience with this and has a fix.
I have heard torque converter, electrical short, et cetera but it seems like this is a pretty common issue and I was wondering if anyone knew about a more universal fix that is at the root.

Check the bolts that hold the trans on the engine. My jeep was sputtering and would die in reverse turned out I was missing a bolt.

the motor moves. find out what's moving.
pay close attention to CPS wiring on the back of the motor.
a set of motor mounts probably isn't a bad idea.

I had it stall/die in reverse today and wouldn't start back up. I am in Sacramento for work and in a hotel... 5 hours from home. I got it towed back to the hotel and gave it a try, it started right up. It has to be electrical or something. My motor mounts look good and I checked the bell housing bolts.

Back