• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sputtering jeep

Reapsticles

NAXJA Forum User
I'm moving from so cal to oregon and had to stop 270 miles into the trip because my xj has started sputtering and losing power.. it throws a code 41 but the alternator tested fine.. checked the fuel filter and it was clogged so I replaced it. Got a mile down the road and its doin the same thing.. anyone have any ideas as to what it could be.. I'd appreciate any thoughts..
Thanks,
-Dave
310-745-6927:peace::tears:

Not to volunteer him, but Zachanadandy is in/near patterson.

Have you checked the wires that go to the alternator? It sounds like sometimes it can be faulty wiring or bad connections that trigger that code. Found this in a quick search: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=727859&postcount=7

Also found this: "check the wiring and connections from the logic module to the power module, and clean and re-grease the connectors with dielectric grease.

Also check for a defective voltage regulator circuit"

Original is at Chrysler Fault Code 41: Alternator field control circuit open or shorted http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/faults/code-41.html#ixzz2sKVQNdg6

It doesn't sound to me like the 41 code has anything to do with your sputtering unless its computer related.

Have you replaced your O2 sensors recently?

grounds, sensor connections, tune up type stuff, o2 sensor, CPS, TPS. vacuum leak, dying fuel pump.

Don't rule out fuel filter....again. You could have gotten a load of dirty gas, causing the first plug, with plenty left over for a second.

This guy is one of my oldest friends, I've known him for 20 years. if anyone can help him out I would really appreciate it, he's moving to oregon with his lady and they're pretty much stranded, I'm sure she is NOT happy.

thanks for the advice given already, :thumbup: be aware he's working on it in a parking lot with limited tools.

If it were closer to sacramento I would be over there .

well, i guess he's at a shop now and they're going to try swapping the fuel pump.

thanks again for the advice offered guys.

if it sputters into sacramento we can pull into the garage at my place and mess with it for an evening.

I would but its only gotten worse, I have it at a shop now.. this morning it was so bad I wasn't sure I was gunna make it the three miles to a shop. If worse comes to wprse ill rent a uhaul with a trailer and pull the rear driveshaft and deal with it in oregon, thanks to everyone who's called and posted.. and sorry I haven't replied to any posts ive been trying to keep the little lady from losing her mind

Mechanic says its an ignition issue. . I used to have some solid motor mounts that would constantly vibrate my jeep apart.. im wondering if the crank position sensor vibrated loose, have to wait till after a couple of smog checks that hes doing on other cars before I'll get an answer.

Whats the condition on the plugs/cap/rotor/coil/CPS/TPS/02

well, a new CPS got it moving again, but it's still not running right so he plopped it on a trailer and rented a truck to tow it up to portland.

thanks again for the offers of help guys :cheers:

Whats the condition on the plugs/cap/rotor/coil/CPS/TPS/02

He should replace the rest : plugs/cap/rotor/coil/TPS/02
and add fuel filter to that max when he gets to portland.
Keep the rest for trail spares.

check grounds, compression, and vacuum harness for leaks and intake/exhaust for leaks.

i know, I told him as much repeatedly but he was stuck on the road and needs to be in portland by 8pm, kind of out of options. :dunno:

Sorry I meant when he gets back to portland. that way he is starting fresh for the diagnosis. of course, those items could fix any remaining issues.

Back