• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Springs Front and Back

drshoebocks

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my leaf springs, and think I might as well do the coils up front as well.
I don't do any serious off roading but do take the jeep on rough roads/trails. I tend to haul a ton of crap and thats why the leafs are worn out. I also do a bit of highway driving.
Ok here's my questions
I noticed in Quadratec they have 5 leaf heavy duty rear springs, will this work for my 96 XJ sport (currently has 4 leafs)? If so or not, are there any other options I should look for?

I'm not interested in doing a lift, and certainly don't want to lower either, are there any aftermarket coils that will give me better street and ligth trail performance?

I've already got Bilsteins on it, which I love, these dramatically made the road feel of the jeep better. I can stick in turns and recover instantly over big bumps, this is what I'm looking to increase.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated

I've been dealing with a similar dilemma with mine. My rear leafs have pretty much had there day and myself wanted to do a lift. Stopped by a jeep place that is local for me here, and had a long chat with the guy there about what I wanted, and what way I should go. I know you're not interested in a lift really but the same idea may be able to be adapted to your needs.

Basically, I was told that it's not worth the effort and money to try to fix the rear leaf springs, [specially on my '90] and I've read this elsewhere, as although they'll be fine for the short term, they'll return to having the same problem, and as well, to be able to stiffen them enough, it'll not ride very well. What was suggested to me, was an entire new suspension system kit [RE 3.5" lift], which would be far better than stock, and ride great on both highway, and offroad. I would try to weigh between what you want to do with your jeep, and look for a whole suspension kit to get the ride you want. Basically, do it right the first time, instead of doing peice-meal that will end up costing you more in the long run.

Good luck!

Look into the OME 930 coils for up front and the JC2A leafs for the rear. The JC2A's are a variable rate pack that has on overload leaf to deal with loads. This setup will give you about a 2" lift.

I found a canadian company that sells stock size leaf springs that they a claim hold a better load and have a better spring rate they are about $230 a pair. Here is a link to their site http://customsuspension.com/store/index.php?cPath=134_145_208

This is about $80 more then I would pay for a oem replacement, anyone know this company?

If I did this, I would then want to find a similar option for the front coils, which I haven't found. Any suggestions?

Back