• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring under (I know people are curious)

casual

NAXJA Forum User
And so am I. A buddy mentioned it today & I figured I'd ask.
I know a few jeepspeed guys used to run setups like this & I know you can gain travel like this.
I'm sure you would need a longer shackle or possibly relocate the shackle mounts. But who has done it or has information on it? I think this would be a great idea.

Also anyone have info on Rob Waldens build. It was a 85' xj, light blue raced 1400 class with it. He was spring under & thats all I can find so far.
This is a very intriguing to me & would love any info/ideas/thoughts on the project!

Also this if for a jeep that is not going to ever race for those rule book guys.

Maybe a less axle wrap? Why did the YJ's have a spring under stock? What was the benefit?

I just can't see any. I know guys that did a spring over on their yj's and the ride was as comfortable as before and never had any issues. Plus gained a lot of lift from a simple adjustment. Just thinking out loud, but maybe it's safer at high speed? Meaning if your u-bolts break the axle is contained within the leafs and the tire will just hit the wheelwell where as if it's on the "outside" it will rip out?

When I was gonna go spring under I planned on getting chevy 64" leafs (alot of ranger guys use these for a budget leafspring) and I was gonna move my front leafspring hangers forward. But then I found a deal on some deavers and decided to try the deavers before I went spring under

im no expert... so this is just a guess, but i would think youll get the same amount of travel. just a lower stance. that is assuming you use the stock location for spring/shackle mounts.

youll have much more travel. the spring will need to be arched more to achieve the same lift height and thus need to be a longer spring to reach the same mounts. a longer, more arched spring will have more travel, especially in combination with an aftermarket shackle to support to increased travel.

Pretty sure National Spring in San Diego built most, if not all, of the spring under springs for the 1st gen Jeepspeeders. There @ 619-258-2724

It would be sick to have a spring under xj as a daily driver. You can easily achieve more travel & yes as stated it will resist axle wrap.

I would guess it is easier to fit a longer pack, therefore more flex, travel, etc.
Also less axle wrap. As others have stated.

Pretty sure National Spring in San Diego built most, if not all, of the spring under springs for the 1st gen Jeepspeeders. There @ 619-258-2724

Deaver had/has a spring under for Xj's then and now. The biggest problem is the waste of money to go spring under considering you can't use all the rear travel with the solid front axle front end. Balanced suspension is what you should be looking for. Crazyjim has looked into this in detail. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Deaver had/has a spring under for Xj's then and now. The biggest problem is the waste of money to go spring under considering you can't use all the rear travel with the solid front axle front end. Balanced suspension is what you should be looking for. Crazyjim has looked into this in detail. Hopefully he'll chime in.

I don't necessarily agree here. I know this isn't a apple to apple comparo, but why do you think people link there rear ends?
Sure they are only pulling 18-20" of travel up front, but they are also pulling 30"+ in the rear.

The extra travel will definitely help when your setup for it! Just because we are straight axle doesn't make in any different!

I couldn't agree more. More travel would be cool, but at the end of the day we have unibody vehichles. I thought about linking the rear of mine for a second, but then wised up to the fact that the front was solid axle. So then I though about beaming the front end. Also cool, but it is still unibody. How long can a unibody last with a linked rear and beamed front end? You would be constantly chasing down structural issues.

Don't get me wrong, it would get tons of street cred but you can only polish a turd so much.

I don't necessarily agree here. I know this isn't a apple to apple comparo, but why do you think people link there rear ends?
Sure they are only pulling 18-20" of travel up front, but they are also pulling 30"+ in the rear.

The extra travel will definitely help when your setup for it! Just because we are straight axle doesn't make in any different!

18-20" on a straight axle front end? Might have a little bump steer and your oil pan would be non existent.

I couldn't agree more. More travel would be cool, but at the end of the day we have unibody vehichles. I thought about linking the rear of mine for a second, but then wised up to the fact that the front was solid axle. So then I though about beaming the front end. Also cool, but it is still unibody. How long can a unibody last with a linked rear and beamed front end? You would be constantly chasing down structural issues.

Don't get me wrong, it would get tons of street cred but you can only polish a turd so much.

i dont agree with you...why not have more travel? the thing i do agree with you on is the unibody. we all no its weak

Im gonna guess you have never ridden in a linked truck before. The only trucks I have seen with 30"+ of travel are trophy trucks. Also properly valved shocks will help you go alot faster than more travel will. And to much travel can actually make you go slower if you don't have the horse power to back it up

Yes having a solid front axle does make it different. Why do you think the guys who link there jeeps either put beams on them or want to put beams on them

2 words come to mind when you try to pull that much travel out of a solid axle panhard setup front end. bump steer. because of the panhard bar the front axle will be moving so far to the left and right as it moves through the travel range you start losing the ability to steer effectively. if you're hitting big travel and aren't going in a straight line get ready for some fun.

Back