• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sprayed Raptor Liner this weekend

Lewybrewing

NAXJA Forum User
So the fender flares and the lower moldings on the Jeep were looking a little "Old" and I though I wanted to keep the White/Grey XJ Country look. I started looking for a do it yourself Line-X style product. I found Raptor Liner by U-Pol. It is tint-a-bule if you buy the correct style. I thought I could add the right color of grey and spay the original grey parts grey on my white jeep.

Prep was the hardest. I took off the moldings and flares. I had to take all the sticker backing off the metal. Some razor blades and time was all it took. I then skufed (SP) up the paint so the Raptor would stick. Then taped off the door jams and nice white paint. Mixed up the color and went for it. Here are some pics.

Original Jeep
CIMG3618.jpg

Prep work
IMG-20100925-00035.jpg

1st pass with the area well taped off
IMG-20100926-00039.jpg

After 2 coats of Raptor
IMG-20100926-00040.jpg

I am very happy about the results so far. Now I just need to reinstall the flares and go jeeping.

Questions?

Lewy

Raptor looks like a good substitute for Line-X. The local Line-X dealer quoted me $600 bucks to spray the sides to the next body line higher, back to the tail lights and $900 if I wanted it color matched. :confused1

What kind of compressor did you use?

My biggest problem with products like these, is that they fade out from the sun. i ended up spraying over with a black Lacquer that was uv stable. and some of the texture is still there. good so far.

Nitro: What product did you use? Everything I have found about Raptor is that it holds very well against UV. I'll get a whole shot but I broke my foot today and the jeep is downstairs. Might be a day or two before I tackle the stairs. :)

keep me posted if it works out then i would love to use it. give it a few months. I tried herculiner and the 3m undercoating sprays from the paint shop. all ended up looking like poo after a few months... thanks for the post

Dean (RynoXJ on here) used Durabak on his whole jeep, and it looks great. pretty tough stuff as well and it doesn't fade like rhinoliner and line-x tends to. cheaper as well.

Got a full side shot of it? I've been toying with the idea of painting the flares and corners some color besides Rustoleum Black, was thinking gray or matching the Stone White if that stuff cleans up well.

I was actually just about to post a thread on this...

Has anyone been running Raptor for a while? If so, what's the UV stability like? I have a rust spot on my roof and am generally fed up with worrying about the condition of the paint and metal up there, and want to go ahead and spray the whole roof with Raptor (to also reduce concerns about beating up paint with cargo and trees). Let me know what you guys think.

How much Raptor Liner did you use, what gun (the one that came with the kit?) and how much did it cost total?

I gotta do the floors in my 98 and probably the entire underbody as soon as I put stiffeners etc on it, and will probably shoot the lower body line with it as well.

I used 2 of the 4 containers that came with the kit. It totals 1 gallon so I used 1/2. I think I had about 1/3 left in the 2nd container that I tossed. I used the tintable style and added a grey to match the grey on my Country XJ.

I used the gun, get the GUN. I have read to much about it not working well without the gun in the kit. I got it on Amazon for 110 shipped.

I used some about a year ago when I was going to do some work on my Jeep with it. I sprayed a fender flare. It's been sitting in a pile of crap behind the garage in the sun/rain/snow/mud for about a year now, and it still looks like I just sprayed it. I still have 3/4 of the gallon in the garage, I might spray another test panel and send it through one my my pops' UV curing machines to see how it holds up.

Back