• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spray paint

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering how many cans of spray paint it would take to paint an xj with a few coats? I'm debating using spray paint or using Durabak or Herculiner to do my exterior due to the clear coat problem. I have Herculined 5 jeeps thusfar and like the Herculiner, but never have done the entire outside other then my rockers. What do you guys think? If I am painting it, I like the Safety Red Rustoleum at Lowe's for $4.77/bottle for a 12-14 ounce I think is the going rate. Herculiner is $80/gallon for black and $140 for red or grey, but these colors aren't uv protected. Durabak goes for around $140/gallon and they have 15-20 colors and they do have uv protection.

its funny I'm debating on the same thing right now. since i'm doing three colors the durabak gets pricey, i was just at TSG looking at fram paint and wondering how good it would work. it something like 30 bucks a gallon and it should cover a jeep with one gallon.

Many of us have hadto resort to the rattle can approach to painting.....mostly with dissapointing results. I supose that when your young and money is the biggest issue (heck for that matter whenever money is the big issue) it looks so easy to just buy twenty or so cans of paint and have a go at it...but....if the final result matters...that is to say if you want it to look like a fresh paint job....its almost impossible to get that with spray cans.
You might want to add up all the costs....pros and cons....ins and outs....and then call Earl Shive (sp)

rick

I used about 8 cans of I believe Krylon flat tan to paint my cherokee. The factory color was black. It covered pretty well with just one coat. It is also holding up pretty well considering the only prep. I did was with a scotch brite pad! I wasn't really concerned with how it would look, it is mostly a trail rig, but it actually turned out ok. Just my .02

I've had good luck using Rust-o-leum textured paint, and then a semi-gloss or flat paint over the top of it. You don't notice the imperfections underneath the paint with it and it turns out nice (for a spray-paint job). If you don't use anything over the top of the textured paint the dirt really sticks to it and it always looks dirty after it's been through a mud bath.

Would any of you guys use Herculiner or Durabak for the exterior body? I think it would be good for a mostly trail rig.

just did the lower rockers and some side molding with dupicolors rattle can bedliner. bought it at autozone but it was not cheap $7.99 a can. looks great though, a black hard paint with some texture to it

steinjeep said:
Would any of you guys use Herculiner or Durabak for the exterior body? I think it would be good for a mostly trail rig.
I'm considering doing that to mine. There's a local shop that's done it to quite a few TJs, and they do an awesome job, and it last forever, especially if you do a UV clear coat over top.

jeo said:
I'm considering doing that to mine. There's a local shop that's done it to quite a few TJs, and they do an awesome job, and it last forever, especially if you do a UV clear coat over top.

I think the Durabak 18 has uv protection and you can get a smooth version as well. Herculiner only has uv protection for its black liner, not the red or grey.

i love my flat black paint!! i found that Rustoleum is much better than Krylon. I would do Herculiner or Durabak if it didn't cost so much more, i think i used about 10 cans of Krylon (probably only woulda been 7 with Rustoleum) for my shortbed MJ.

for anyone considering rattle-can paint, check out this thread i started over on PBB: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190280

Back