• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spline count 23 vs. 21

i have a haynes manual,they show me everything i need to know.i took the four bolts out of the 89 231,how do i get the spline cover off to change the input gear? there are notches on both sides for a pry bar,but it ain't budging,they also have it siliconed.

gently pry the seal housing up and the silicone will release.

there is a snap-ring under the seal cover that has to be removed.
The input gear then comes out from the inside. you have to completely dis-assemble the case to get to it.

Digger87xj said:
He said he put a 89 AW4 witha 92 t-case.
he has a spline issue... hands down.
You may be right, in fact if you look back, you'll notice I was the first to suggest that a 23 spline female input will fit over a 21 spline male output but not engage.

BUT, if he is getting proper power in Park, which makes no sense, then that isn't the problem.

"it moves in park"
if he pushes the vehicle in park.. it moves.. i.e. no park pawl because the splines are not correct

:roll:

ok,i got the spline input out of the 89(231).wasn't to bad.now if i can get it to go into my 92 (231).it does make perfect sense that the 23 spline input shaft would go right over the 21 spline output on the tranny.i put the 21 spline input shaft up to my old 92 aw4,and it is alot thicker.won't even go on,and it's only 2 teeth that is causing all this crap.wow.
thank you all for all your replys,i'll pull the 92 tranfer tomorrow,and hopefully do the swap to the 89.i'll get back to all after i get finished,it's suppose to rain tomorrow.

Thank You Diggerxj and Brett M.Thank You,Thank You,Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!
I changed the input in the Transfer case,and i got the Jeep to move in forward and reverse,the jeep runs like new,i'll have to check the tranny fluid after a couple miles to see if i need to add any.you guys really know your stuff.Thanks Again.

Back