• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spliced wire near firewall???Pics

Your Jeep is wired to only start if you are in Park or Neutral...
It determines this throught the Transmission Ranger Sensor...many call it the NSS or Neutral Safety Switch. Sometimes the switch goes bad, or gets dirty, and you can't start the Jeep...you turn the key, and nothing happens, because it thinks you are NOT in Neutral or Park. So, if you fake it out with the wire, your can get your Jeep started.
I don't advise leaving this wire permanently connected to ground, as someone can get hurt starting a vehicle when it is not in Park or Neutral.

At the moment it isn't connected to anything. It's just tie wraped to the wiring harness...

I assume whatever issue the previous owner had, must have been corrected because it seems to start like normal and the wire isn't being used.

Good to know....

Thanks.

personally, I'd cut the blue wire shorter, install a female butt connector on it, and wrap it in electrical tape. Keep a longer wire with a male connector in the glove box and if the NSS ever fails (quite commonplace on Jeeps) you already have a built-in bypass to get home:clap: There are easier ways to bypass the switch, but if it's already done, it doesn't get much easier!

--Shorty

Back