• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo/Tach/Fuel Gauge Problem

Jeepxj94

NAXJA Forum User
I've read info about other members Replacing the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) because of the tach/speedometer jumping and not working.

There are 3 gauges on my instrument cluster that just stopped working. They are the Fuel Gauge, Tach Gauge, and the Speedometer. The Fuel gauge sometimes moves, but never tells me the true reading..it's always way pass the F mark. Both the Tach and Speedometer Jump ramdomly (Especailly when I hit bumps), if they do work..i pass the gas pedal more and they freak out, mostly stay the 0 for tach 5 for speedometer.

I've pulled the Instrument Cluster out to check for loose wires connectors..bad grounds only after to find out everything still remains the same. Recently, I've even pulled the connector from the VSS..after that it worked a no more then a week.

XJ is a 1994.

Any info Help would be nice.

:banghead:

I would still look for a ground problem, perhaps in the connector itself, especially if the temp and oil pressure gauges are the only ones that are not misbehaving. Those two gauges alone do their sensing through the ground, rather than relying on the cluster ground.

I think there was a thread in the last two months or so in which someone had a similar problem and solved it by adding a new ground. You might get lucky and find it in a search if you utter the right magical incantations to the search demons.

Back