• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo gear $85!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all. Regarding the speedo gears, I was under my 96 Dodge 2500 tonight fixing stuff and pulled the speedo gear in it. It looks like it is the same as the speedo gear and housing that came out of my 95 XJ. Not exactly sure on the housing (# of wires), but I'm about 97% sure on the gear itself being swapable. May be another option for folks needing the 30-36 range of speedo gears, or at least give you something else to look at when your at the junkyard.

Hello all. Regarding the speedo gears, I was under my 96 Dodge 2500 tonight fixing stuff and pulled the speedo gear in it. It looks like it is the same as the speedo gear and housing that came out of my 95 XJ. Not exactly sure on the housing (# of wires), but I'm about 97% sure on the gear itself being swapable. May be another option for folks needing the 30-36 range of speedo gears, or at least give you something else to look at when your at the junkyard.
good idea, many dodge pickups used 231 and 241 t-cases

Ha, cool, I put a 37 in mine when I was on 31's and 4.10's. According to the chart, I'm with 4.56's and 33's, I just need to go to 35's and my speedometer will be correct. Solution, buy the right tire size. :) I wonder how "I need 35's so my speedometer will read correctly" will go over with the finance dept.

Ha, cool, I put a 37 in mine when I was on 31's and 4.10's. According to the chart, I'm with 4.56's and 33's, I just need to go to 35's and my speedometer will be correct. Solution, buy the right tire size. :) I wonder how "I need 35's so my speedometer will read correctly" will go over with the finance dept.

That's going to be my excuse to have better highway manners. 4.88s and 33s are pretty low. "I need 35s so I can cruise at 70 mph on the highway".

:D

"I need 35s so I can cruise at 70 mph on the highway".

:D

Ha, you know how well I can cruise at 70 on the highway.

I also love the fact that to fix your speedo, you would spend $$$ on tires rather than about $30 to fix the speedo gear. I would probably justify that purchase the same way.

Ha, you know how well I can cruise at 70 on the highway.

I also love the fact that to fix your speedo, you would spend $$$ on tires rather than about $30 to fix the speedo gear. I would probably justify that purchase the same way.

HA! I bet 35s would fix your problem as well LOL :D.

I have a 41 tooth in mine (got it from Morris4x4) for about $15 like a month or 2 ago. Going to need probably like a 38-39 when I go to 35s.

i had a long shaft 3x tooth and needed a short shaft that no one had in stock for the price i wanted to pay (basically free) so i got the cheapest short shaft and heated them both up at the shaft, pulled the shafts out and swapped the gear heads and walah.

Good God! I bought my 40 tooth speedo gear from Morris4x4 on 9/4 for $27 and now its $128!! Guess I bought it at the right time.

That also means the 31 tooth gear for 32's and 3.55's I have sitting in the garage has tripled in value :D

This is HIGHWAY ROBBERY by the manufacturer of the speedo gears. Assuming these parts are injection molded, It only costs a few grand for an injection mold die. I thought the gears were overpriced at $30 each, FORGET $130. I'll just use my GPS if I care about my speed.

Haha you must have a manual like me, and im going to 35s on 4.10s :clap::clap::clap:

I looked into it a little at work and yeah... the Mopar prices just went crazy. Most of the gears we sell at Quadratec will be going up to around $79 (we sell Mopar speedo gears). I can't imagine why a tiny piece of plastic would cost that much!!

holy sheet when i ordered mine it was like $10 with the shop i was workin at and even still regular price was only like $25 and i got 3 because they triple order or something and they kept calling saying my part was in and that i had paid for it and then the funny part was i checked i my speedo with a GPS and its dead on so i never changed it which means it was outta wack when it was stock

the funny part was i checked i my speedo with a GPS and its dead on so i never changed it which means it was outta wack when it was stock
What gears, tires, tranny and speedo gear? When I went to 30" BFG AT on my '96 (AW-4 and 3.55 gears) the speedo was dead on. That means that in stock form, the actual speed was lower than the actual speed. I'm sure that's designed however to prevent "negligent speeding" lawsuits from coming back after the manufacturer.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back