• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spectre Filter Problem

I'll go pack to an earlier post. Isn't the emblem supposed to go on the dirty air side (facing up in the air box)? I have a Spectre cone filter and it too has an emblem, but I cannot install inside-out! Guess mine's idiot-proof.

Face up is the TB side,downside goes thru the grille to the outside air!

Well, when I took my Spectre filter out of the stock air box I was expecting to have to uncrimp or unglue the name badge, WRONG! It was just sitting there loose. No sign of it being secured in any way. Only oil on the back of it. Just lifted it off from one end with zero effort. Such a light, long u shaped piece of metal it can easily be pulled off by the XJ intake.

I still like my Spectre filter as the rest of it is quality, but they seriously need to do something about the badge on this model! Hopefully the company gets the word out before something happens.

Id just dump it period,they have no use on an off-road vehicle anyway!

A few years ago I had just the opposite problem with a Spectre cone filter. The chrome center cap dislodged from the top of the filter and landed right in the middle of the Renix throttle body, instantly bringing the rig to an idle. There wasn't enough air flow to move it past about 900 rpm. The glue completely failed and off it came.

It is a "get what you pay for" situation.

Well, when I took my Spectre filter out of the stock air box I was expecting to have to uncrimp or unglue the name badge, WRONG! It was just sitting there loose. No sign of it being secured in any way. Only oil on the back of it. Just lifted it off from one end with zero effort. Such a light, long u shaped piece of metal it can easily be pulled off by the XJ intake.

I still like my Spectre filter as the rest of it is quality, but they seriously need to do something about the badge on this model! Hopefully the company gets the word out before something happens.

This is blatant incompetence. Makes you wonder if they put any effort at all into testing their product.

sounds like they may have used a glue that doesnt hold up against oil, and if ya'lls jeeps are like mine was then it puked oil out the valve cover into the air box at high way speed. maybe oil ate up the adhesive and it just came undone?

No sign of adhesive on mine. Just oil(red) from the filter itself. I also have a second one, a cone type I got for a project. The badge on that one is held in by the rubber molded ends. I suspect the one for the XJ just came up short when it was injected or the badge was cut slightly short.

What other applications use the same air filter? I wonder if it was designed with the other vehicles in mind, where the badge would be on the air intake side and not the tb side.

I honestly think the badge was cut to short when it was made and put in place. I emailed them Friday night. Waiting for a reply this week. They are located about an hour from me, so I may just take a drive and discuss the hazard face to face. It's a serious danger in my opinion, but that's just me. Don't want to see anyone get hurt.

What other applications use the same air filter? I wonder if it was designed with the other vehicles in mind, where the badge would be on the air intake side and not the tb side.

BRILLIANT! I was thinking something along the same lines.

I have to agree, putting something on a filter that has even the POTENTIAL to come loose--well, the person that decided on that needs to get back on the little yellow bus.

Back