• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Specific RE 3.5 poll/question

jpars

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, yes, GOD DAMNIT YES!, i did search. I rarely post, usually just read.

I have found such conflicting expereiences with re 3.5 kits, and whether or not they need a SYE. I am talking 3.5" of lift, not an unsettled re 3.5 full spring pack with a 1.75" spacer netting 5 inches.

It is my (maybe wrong) understanding that the driveline changes came with the body/styling changes in 97, and that 97+ Xjs generally need it with the 3.5 kits.

I have a 96, looking at a 3.5 super ride AAL, and frankly dont have money, time, and most importantly any driveline expereince for a SYE and CV driveshaft install.

So long story short, poll, how many people NEEDED a SYE with a 3.5 kit, prefer 96 and older

FAQ said to start a poll there should be an option at the bottom of the page, maybe my browser is messed up, im blind, or maybe just a newb, but i cannot find it.

Your search should have revealed that the 96 XJ has the newer model slip-yoke. This means that it is very susceptible to vibrations from the lift. That said, you will very likely need an SYE after lifting it. At a minimum you will need to shim the rear axle to correct the u-joint angles, bu expect to need the SYE. If you are the rare Jeeper that doesn't need the SYE then you've saved a few bucks...but it's still a good upgrade.

read the first thing in my sig

yeah sorry this post didnt go as i planned.
i wanted to make a poll for people specifically, just yes or no did they need it.
i just hear such extreme yes and nos pertaining to the 3.5

i have looked on several forums. one laughed at me and they all said no way would i need one with a 3.5 kit and several said they ran it for awhile and didnt even need a tcase drop, then i come here, everyone preaches the SYE gospel like they are missionaries with guns.

so basically this is goign to become another worthless lift question thread lost in the depths of "search"

might just settle with a 2" BB and 31s

bshaw said:
You can always grind the d-shaft down where it's hitting on itself (yoke at the t-case end). I had to until I could afford the SYE CV d-shaft combo. Worked pretty well, but still had de-acceleration vibes(not that bad).

X2 Just did the RE 3.5" full spring pack replacement on the wifes XJ. It is a 94 with the 242 in it if that helps. We just grinded down the shaft as stated above. Getting a YJ Yoke is another idea. We are getting the SYE and new rear driveshaft in a few weeks. We also got the T&T Customs HD Crossmember with Tranny Skid which incorperates a 1" Tranny Drop. That too was needed. I hope that helps.

-Matt

i have a 95 and put on the 3.5 w/ full leaf pack. it netted 6" in the beginning, which made it undriveable. it has settled to 5 now, but still needed 8* shims. maybe it was just a quirk with the 8.25 though, but that is my experience. all rigs are different, but 96 and newer are just more susceptible to driveline problems. some people have done poor man sye. do a search. i think old man has done one. HTH

Fuel90 said:
I have a 95 and put on the 3.5 w/ full leaf pack. it netted 6" in the beginning, which made it undriveable. it has settled to 5 now, but still needed 8* shims. maybe it was just a quirk with the 8.25 though, but that is my experience.

My '94 had the same setup and exact same issues. If you can't afford to lift it and do the sye, then wait. Why should you have to settle for a BB and 31s? Are you in some emergency to get a lift on your XJ? I only ask because I see this all the time. "Well I can't afford what I want so I am gonna settle for this" The difference between kits and parts you would need to run either is not thousands of dollars. Why can't you save a little longer and do both? To easy?

I have a 98 classic with R/E 3.5 lift with the add a leaf. I have no transfer case drop or SYE and I have no vibrations at all. running 32" bfg goodrich also. I know from what I have read and that I am lucky. I will be getting the SYE and going biggerin the spring though.

Peace

Jeff

91 Jeep Project said:
My '94 had the same setup and exact same issues. If you can't afford to lift it and do the sye, then wait. Why should you have to settle for a BB and 31s? Are you in some emergency to get a lift on your XJ? I only ask because I see this all the time. "Well I can't afford what I want so I am gonna settle for this" The difference between kits and parts you would need to run either is not thousands of dollars. Why can't you save a little longer and do both? To easy?

No, ive done a ton of research and settled on around a 3 inch lift and 31s. So im really not settling for less then what i want, I dont want a 6" lift running 35s. Im in high school and go offroading with friends every couple weeks, and dont see true extreme rock crawling or anything of that nature. I want to lift it and run 31s for a tougher look and so that i can continue to outwheel my friends 4runner on 31s on a regular basis. ive looked at a lot of BB/31 combos, i kind of like the look and might go that. I have after market 15X8 steelies with good backspacing so i dont think it will rub.

jpars said:
No, ive done a ton of research and settled on around a 3 inch lift and 31s. So im really not settling for less then what i want, I dont want a 6" lift running 35s. Im in high school and go offroading with friends every couple weeks, and dont see true extreme rock crawling or anything of that nature. I want to lift it and run 31s for a tougher look and so that i can continue to outwheel my friends 4runner on 31s on a regular basis. ive looked at a lot of BB/31 combos, i kind of like the look and might go that. I have after market 15X8 steelies with good backspacing so i dont think it will rub.

What I meant was not to settle on a BB and 31's because you might have to run a SYE otherwise. If I could have done it again with my '94. I'd of saved a little more to change out a few things (upgrade) in the R.E. lift and done a SYE at the same time................ :lecture:

Back