• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speaking of riot...

It is an unofficial pay grade...you'll never see it on a pay chart or anything like that...

from AF Enlisted Rank Structure article...

"Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force (CMSAF). Until 2004, the CMSAF wore the same rank insignia as a CMSgt with one exception: the chevron had a wreat encircling the star. In November 2004, the CMSAF insignia was updated to include the Great Seal of the United States of America and two stars in the upper field. The laurel wreath around the star in the lower field remained unchanged to retain the legacy of the Chief Master Sergeants of the Air Force. CMSAF is an E-9, but receives special pay and allowances, so his/her pay grade is sometimes unofficially called "E-10." "

It is an unofficial pay grade...you'll never see it on a pay chart or anything like that...

from AF Enlisted Rank Structure article...

"Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force (CMSAF). Until 2004, the CMSAF wore the same rank insignia as a CMSgt with one exception: the chevron had a wreat encircling the star. In November 2004, the CMSAF insignia was updated to include the Great Seal of the United States of America and two stars in the upper field. The laurel wreath around the star in the lower field remained unchanged to retain the legacy of the Chief Master Sergeants of the Air Force. CMSAF is an E-9, but receives special pay and allowances, so his/her pay grade is sometimes unofficially called "E-10." "

That's new - on the pay grade charts I recall, CMSAF was an "E-9A." I seem to recall the same applying for the SEA on all other services as well - he was an E-9A, and there was only one of him (yah, there was special pay and allowances and suchlike, but the enlisted grades didn't make it to ten, although the ossifer grades did.)

Yeah, after being stationed at Ellsworth, I have tons of respect for the B-1...its a pretty bad a$$ plane....

I like them too, but in a year or so when I catch my Drop for airframe selection I will be gunning pretty hard for F15-e. The window is bigger, and You can pull more than 3 G's without getting in trouble.

lol, it was just explained earlier in the thread... :wave1:

I can't find pay chart with E-10 on it. If you can provide an official one I'll shut up. :D

After searching I couldn't find any DOD pay scales with E-10 on it. I however looked in my trusty Coast Guard manual (the one I was issued in boot camp so many years ago) and found this.

http://books.google.com/books?id=M-...X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA182,M1

Look on page 182 and read down.

"The MCPOCG is the most senior enlisted member of the Coast Guard, with the pay grade designation of E-10"

After searching I couldn't find any DOD pay scales with E-10 on it. I however looked in my trusty Coast Guard manual (the one I was issued in boot camp so many years ago) and found this.

http://books.google.com/books?id=M-...X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA182,M1

"The MCPOCG is the most senior enlisted member of the Coast Guard, with the pay grade designation of E-10"

Well thats the 1st E-10 reference that I've ever seen, 15+ years. Maybe they just say E-10 to make that individual feel as though he is in a higher pay bracket even though he is getting the same base pay as every other E-9 in the military.

I'm not one to argue with US Code (law) though... ;) The author of that book you found may want to have it proofread.

Title 37 said:
Effective Date of 1968 Amendment

Amendment by Pub. L. 90-623 intended to restate without substantive
change the law in effect on Oct. 22, 1968, see section 6 of Pub. L. 90-
623, set out as a note under section 5334 of Title 5, Government
Organization and Employees.

Inclusion of Senior Enlisted Advisor for the Chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff Among Senior Enlisted Members of the Armed Forces

Pub. L. 109-163, div. A, title VI, Sec. 685(a), Jan. 6, 2006, 119
Stat. 3325, as amended by Pub. L. 109-364, div. A, title X,
Sec. 1071(e)(5), Oct. 17, 2006, 120 Stat. 2401, provided that:
``(1) Equal treatment.--The rate of basic pay for an enlisted member
in the grade E-9 while serving as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff shall be the same as the rate of
basic pay for an enlisted member in that grade while serving as Sergeant
Major of the Army, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, Chief Master
Sergeant of the Air Force, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, or Master
Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard, regardless of cumulative years
of service computed under section 205 of title 37, United States Code.

``(2) Effective date.--Paragraph (1) shall apply beginning on the
date on which an enlisted member of the Armed Forces is first appointed
to serve as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
of Staff.''

Maybe they just say E-10 to make that individual feel as though he is in a higher pay bracket even though he is getting the same base pay as every other E-9 in the military.

Maybe and the pay difference would be Special Duty Assigment Pay (similiar to Sea Pay, Surfman Pay & Flight Pay). Since I've been in have always heard the MCPO-CG refered to as an E-10 and I joined during the days of Steam Propulsion and Ocean Stations.

....as my post said....

UNOFFICIALLY

....to go off topic again....

Our E-9's love to be called "Chief"

I've always wondered...if there is more than one Chief....

1 leaf
2 leaves

1 Chief
2 Chieves?

:D

Someday I'll have the balls and rank to say that if I greet multiple AF E-9s....

we're a silly branch....

Maybe and the pay difference would be Special Duty Assigment Pay (similiar to Sea Pay, Surfman Pay & Flight Pay). Since I've been in have always heard the MCPO-CG refered to as an E-10 and I joined during the days of Steam Propulsion and Ocean Stations.

Yea all that special pay makes him earn more but the base pay is still E-9.

http://www.uscg.mil/Hr/psc/docs/2009basicpay.pdf

Here is the USCGs 2009 pay chart, no E-10 on there.

....as my post said....

UNOFFICIALLY

....to go off topic again....

Our E-9's love to be called "Chief"

I've always wondered...if there is more than one Chief....

1 leaf
2 leaves

1 Chief
2 Chieves?

:D

Someday I'll have the balls and rank to say that if I greet multiple AF E-9s....

we're a silly branch....

Lets go fly boy, isn't the proper name for AF E-9s Chief Master Sergeant?
So if there were more than 1 around would they be referred to as Chief Master Sergeants?

Wouldn't it be Chiefs Master Sergeant?

Kinda like Sergeants Major?

I thought Sergeant is the base rank, and everything else is the different type of Sergeant? Staff, First Class, Master/First, Major

But my spelling and grammar are horrible so I don't really know.:helpme:

Back