• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speakers rise from the dead

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I have a speaker box with 2 woofers (8 or 10")and 2 piezo horn tweeters. My question is that every now and then they'll die. It sounds almost like they're blown, lots of distortion and quietness. I take them out and put them inside for a week or two and then just out of boredom I plug em in to my home stereo and they work. So I take em back out, hook em up and they work great for a few weeks then they die again. I've repeated this process about 3 times and am wondering what the problem may be. Any ideas? They're Lightning Audio (got em free), and I have a 120x2 (240 total) watt amp, also Lightning Audio brand enw from a swap meet. Its in a 96 with an old Alpine CD player that puts out I think like 40x4.

BlackSport96 said:
I have a speaker box with 2 woofers (8 or 10")and 2 piezo horn tweeters. My question is that every now and then they'll die. It sounds almost like they're blown, lots of distortion and quietness. I take them out and put them inside for a week or two and then just out of boredom I plug em in to my home stereo and they work. So I take em back out, hook em up and they work great for a few weeks then they die again. I've repeated this process about 3 times and am wondering what the problem may be. Any ideas? They're Lightning Audio (got em free), and I have a 120x2 (240 total) watt amp, also Lightning Audio brand enw from a swap meet. Its in a 96 with an old Alpine CD player that puts out I think like 40x4.
sounds more like your internal amp than your speakers,or it could even be a bad ground.

It doesn't ever do this with the two door mounted speakers though. Or when I still had the sound bar speakers connected either. Only with these two box speakers and a 120x2 watt amp

I had a house speaker do this, so I bought new ones. Then one day out of bordem I hooked them back up, and have worked fine ever sense. The new ones played fine on the same recever too. My only guess is there is a piece of grit in the coil , and the changing temp lets it contact the moving parts.

Back