• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some moaning and groaning with new Trac-Lok

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
I'm getting some noise back there. If I let it sit all day outside and then go and try and drive off, I get some major groaning until the fluid gets in there. And this is going in a straight line. Otherwise, normal driving I get the noises here and there when going low speed, straight or around corners. A slight tap of the brakes seems to quiet it when it happens. Any idea's??

New carrier bearings were installed with it.

Did you put 4oz of friction modifier in the fluid?

At first, I just ran 75w90 synthetic and was getting the noise somewhat. So I changed to 80w90 conv with 4oz of lubegard modifier and the noise is louder/more frequent.

This is on a built up vehicle with 31+ tires and has been regeared to 4.10 or 4.56?

32's and 4.10's

Some people say that Trak Lok's aren't very good once you go big on tires.

I know my local dealer put the whole bottle of Mopar LSD additive in, 4 oz.

I'd take it back to the shop that put those gears in and see what they say.

I'd also consider ditching that Trak Lok for an air locker or something. Your rig is begging for it. :)

I'm curious to see what your fix is, because my 97 XJ has an 8.25 Trak Lok that makes noise too. I have 80w-90 and a bottle of the Mopar LSD additive in it. I'm assuming the pinion and/or bearings are shot but won't know until I take it apart.

Last edited:
At first, I just ran 75w90 synthetic and was getting the noise somewhat. So I changed to 80w90 conv with 4oz of lubegard modifier and the noise is louder/more frequent.

32's and 4.10's

odd.

Have you verified it is the diff?

Do you have a SYE with a double cardan CV driveshaft? Ive heard the centering ball in the CV make noise and transmit down to the shaft to make the diff sound bad.

A slightly bent axleshaft can cause a groan... brake shoes rubbing on the drum until you tap the brake.. :shrug:

odd.

Have you verified it is the diff?

Do you have a SYE with a double cardan CV driveshaft? Ive heard the centering ball in the CV make noise and transmit down to the shaft to make the diff sound bad.

A slightly bent axleshaft can cause a groan... brake shoes rubbing on the drum until you tap the brake.. :shrug:

The noise transmitting down the shaft is interesting.

In my case, the noise also seems to be reduced when I hit the brakes. I know that on my axle if I jack up the rear end, take the tires and drums off, and let it idle in drive, I hear noises from my differential cover. This was with the stock driveshaft. Perhaps Tony could perform a similar test.

Back