• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sold the YJ, now I own a Renix.

you definatly need to cure the vacuum leakson that old renix. have you replaced the o2sensor andor the tps? . o2 sensors go quite regularly on renix jeeps. mine never went out of warranty before it needed replaced again.
also when you set the renix tps , setting it by voltage work ok for a baseline to get it going
but try and get a scanner on it to get it set right. also any change sensor wise , disconect the battery and let the ecu reset sometimes the high idle issue will continue even if the problem is corrected because the ecu does not auto correct.

Don't know why I said prongs... They have a neat kit with the orings, spacer, and quick disconnect clip all on a plastic installation tool.

The new fuel line O ring kit comes loaded on an install tool. Keep that tool! You can use your old parts with new O rings and make new sets to load in a hurry if needed. I carry two extra's in the glove box just in case. You can get the correct O ring at any hardware store. Thats what I use and with good success.

....... also any change sensor wise , disconect the battery and let the ecu reset sometimes the high idle issue will continue even if the problem is corrected because the ecu does not auto correct.

x2^^

my experience has been that unless you remove power from the ECU, it's almost impossible to see any major change in how it runs. The ECU likes to ignore data from bad sensors, and it seems to continue doing that until it "forgets" to ignore it. Disconnect the battery and ignore it for a few hours (it doesn't get it's feelings hurt, despite common belief) and when you give it power again, it should start fresh and use all available data to control things.

apu9ypev.jpg

Moved more wood inside to garage today to refill some drying stacks. Here's some more MJ pictures.

Last edited:
Thats a sharp looking MJ ! Man I want another one.

I want to get started on this one soon.....

I made a headache rack for mine, that rear glass is hard to come by and firewood eats rear glass! I have two spare rear glass just in case:D

I was concerned about that, but I was only moving it about 40 yards to the garage. Picture of said headache rack?

I was concerned about that, but I was only moving it about 40 yards to the garage. Picture of said headache rack?

The damage happens when you toss the wood in.

I made my son a canoe/kayak/headache rack out of black pipe from lowes and some scrap yard expanded steel. $60 total and one weekend

0414131119.jpg

0414131120.jpg

0414131637.jpg

They bolt on to the insides of the bed rails. The rear one removes in just 5min. He loves the rack and uses it all the time in the warmer months since he literally lives on the Upper James River.
0412131546.jpg

The damage happens when you toss the wood in.

I made my son a canoe/kayak/headache rack out of black pipe from lowes and some scrap yard expanded steel. $60 total and one weekend

0414131119.jpg

0414131120.jpg

0414131637.jpg

They bolt on to the insides of the bed rails. The rear one removes in just 5min. He loves the rack and uses it all the time in the warmer months since he literally lives on the Upper James River.
0412131546.jpg

Love it! I was looking at the Yakima Bedrock which is pretty much the same concept.

Love it! I was looking at the Yakima Bedrock which is pretty much the same concept.

We could do that in a weekend Nick. :eeks1:

Nick just get a TJ factory cage and copy mine. Build your headache rack off of it and then you have a rack to put stuff on (works for kayaks etc). You could put another hoop at the rear of the bed and have a bed length rack.

https://imageshack.com/i/nb4i24j

Got to see the hot mess this weekend! Its ummmmm.......special???

Finally got some time to start working on The Hot Mess again. It's been basically untouched since the last time I updated, except for oh yeah a Clutch job at Harlan because of a leaky internal slave.

Yesterday I nabbed the door speakers out of the XJ. Went to the junkyard and found some Accusound Jenson covers out of an 88 XJ. Also grabbed and installed a 12v plug since my truck didn't come with one.

Since the truck had no factory radio I had to cut my interior door panels to mount the speaker covers. That went well and installed the speakers, only to find out the cheapo Dual head unit only puts out signal to the right speakers. Figures.

7u5a4eqe.jpg

Also found a flashlight inside my passenger door.

yzujarys.jpg

Pulled a rats nest of "accessory" wiring from the PO out. It's a miracle it only tried to burn down once in the last 8 months.

Today I replaced the long arm joints. These things were toast! I had a set of replacements that came with the truck.

pyqyreta.jpg

So at the Crawl next year...you're going not just be the trail guide? :D

u2arenyn.jpg

Door speaker install. Apparently the Accusound was only with power doors. The crank works but hits occasionally.

je4ajypy.jpg

6x9s behind the seats. I will mount the boxes more permanently when I get my seat situation figured out.

The new Pioneer head unit is sweet. Connects to my iPhone with Bluetooth, controls even Spotify through the radio and displays track info. Has a remote mount microphone that clips to the sun visor for calls or use of Siri. Haven't tested clarity while driving yet. Disconnects and stops playing music when the truck is turned off. I'm trying out a magnetic windshield mount for the phone. Seems pretty sturdy although it may not hold off-road.

Pulled out even more crappy wiring from the PO. I think it's all gone now.

So at the Crawl next year...you're going not just be the trail guide? :D

Don't know if I will make the Crawl next year. I will be fresh out of training and at my first post, I don't think I will have enough leave available. I still won't be putting the MJ through many trails, the long term plan for it is still a DD. Maybe I will be able to fly in and guide, or possibly follow through with dropping the Rocket off with Tyler to be ready for the Crawl.

This much needed work is to get the Hot Mess to a somewhat dependable and comfortable DD. As much as it can be at least.

Back