• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Socket Roll

I would seriously consider a couple of these. Anyone want to go in with a group buy and save a couple of bucks?

David Bricker / SYR

Hey Guys and thank you Luke for posting up on the forum.

My name is Chris and I am the inventor for Socket Roll. I saw that you have some questions and I wanted to be available to answer them. I’ll just go in order to make finding the answers easier.

1) AceWhite: “wish they made one for metric”
a. Actually Socket Roll comes with metric sizes as well for 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 drives

2) Ljobbins: “Not exactly sure what sizes but he says it holds all the common sizes”
a. The sizes are listed here. I’ll update the Indiegogo and website as well. Thanks for the question.
i. 1/4 drive: 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 4mm through 13mm
ii. 3/8 drive: 13/16, 3/4, 11/16, 5/8, 9/16, 1/2, 7/16, 3/8, 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm and 18mm
iii. 1/2 drive: 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, 15mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 24mm

3) Victorfrank: “If they don't hit their goal of $10,000 to start manufacturing, do you get a refund or lose your money”
a. Excellent question! Our goal is $10K and that is to cover the next big production run as well as offer alternate colors. We are currently manufacturing as Luke mentioned so there is no worry about not receiving a Socket Roll after your purchase. Nobody will lose their money, so rest assured there. In the event that we do not reach out goal, we are still able to keep what we earn from all the purchases and so we will be able to fulfill orders from that.

4) Ljobbins: “So it is a bit confusing as to if he is selling ones he already has right now as part of the fundraiser or if he is trying to get funds for another production run and people will recieve them later”
a. Allow me to clarify. The ones we have currently are technically ready to go however we are waiting until the end of the campaign to ship them all out as the color choices may change based on how much we can raise. If you check out the color options on the Indiegogo page you can see when the colors are “Ready to ROLL” meaning when they are available , hence why we are waiting. As for people receiving them, Yes we will begin shipping in May 2017 so be sure to keep an eye on your mailbox towards that time J

5) Ljobbins: “i do treat my many 10mm sockets like them. I clean them and tuck them into bed in the tool bag every night, encourage them as they do their job(come on, you are doing great). Only i dont feed them because i dont want them to grow up and turn into 11mm”
a. This is not really a question, but there is a funny coincidence on the about page of ther Socket Roll website that talks about this very issue. Check it out here.

6) David_Bricker: : I would seriously consider a couple of these. Anyone want to go in with a group buy and save a couple of bucks?”
a. David, that is a FANTASTIC idea J The best deal for these is 10 for $400 which brings them to $40 each plus a one-time shipping fee. If you guys want to with an even larger group of people (15-20+) I can send you a special link with a bit more of a discount. Just let me know.

I appreciate you all keeping the conversation going about Socket Roll AND sushi (side note - if you are ever in Burbank go to Fuji Sushi and get the Baked Salmon!!!). I hope I answered your questions and if you have any more feel free to ask here or reach out on Indiegogo or the website.

www.socketroll.com

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/socket-roll-new

Take care and I look forward to sending you the ULTIMATE in portable socket storage.

Thank you for signing up just to address our questions and unrelated tangents.

I appreciate seeing the sizes listed. When I watched the video I thought that it appeared there was no 11mm. I could understand that one being left out. In many folks' socket sets that is the shiny one that clearly has never seen use, but for those of us with XJs, that one is essential for replacing the crankshaft position sensor. That and about 36" worth of extensions and a universal. I don't see provisions for the extensions, nor would most folks need that many. Are there provisions for universals?

Also, what is the expected lifespan of military grade elastic? I am regrettably too familiar with the sound of crunchy old elastic. It seems time and exposure to the air is the death knell of many an elastic band. Is the military grade less susceptible to this? Is it expected to last 10 years? 20?

I am genuinely interested and may be up for participation in a group buy.

If you guys want to with an even larger group of people (15-20+) I can send you a special link with a bit more of a discount. Just let me know.

If someone's going to take charge of organizing a group buy, count me in for one. Looks like a great product.

Just wanted to let every one know that I just spoke to Chris and that he committed to donating a Socket Roll for our SoCal Fest raffle next month. So if you order one, please let him know that you're a NAXJA member and that we all appreciate his support.

Thank you, Chris!

Hey Guys and thank you Luke for posting up on the forum.

My name is Chris and I am the inventor for Socket Roll. I saw that you have some questions and I wanted to be available to answer them. I’ll just go in order to make finding the answers easier.

1) AceWhite: “wish they made one for metric”
a. Actually Socket Roll comes with metric sizes as well for 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 drives

Lol- there really needs to be a "sarcasm" font. Of course the Socket
Roll comes in Metric.
Thank You

Anak: It is my pleasure to answer your questions as I am always in the same boat when I check out new product. To answer your questions:

1) "Are there provisions for universals?"
a. Yes (Where is that sarcasm font?? - kidding) There is a universal for each Drive. There is also an extension for each drive as well and a standard 5/8 park plug socket.

2) "Also, what is the expected lifespan of military grade elastic?"
a. This is a loaded question, so I will do my best to answer it. Bottom line, it depends on how abusive you are to it. Now let me explain with an analogy. It is said (somewhere on the internet, not sure where) that running shoes should be changed every six months with heavy use, meaning active daily runners, but if you don;t run as much or just cardio for a few miles a couple times a week they will last much longer. For Socket Roll the elastic being military grade means that it meets the spec required for the armed forces and that being said it "should" last at a minimum of 5 years, but average life expectancy is estimated to be between 7-10 years. However if you leave it out in the sun for days on end, drag it behind your rig or use it as a a method to get your rig from a mud trap the life expectancy will probably decrease. In the end it is a tool and our tools need to be taken care of otherwise they break. I have been using my own Socket Roll, which was actually a lower quality prototype for over 2 years now and have not had any issues. In fact the dirty one you see in the video spot is mine and its not all tat beat up considering what I have put it through for testing purposes. Hope that answers your question.

3) As for the donation. I am excited and honored that you would like to use Socket Roll as one of your give-a ways and look forward to getting it out to you.

Let me know if you have any additional questions and thanks for the support!

Chris

Sounds good.

If we can put together a group buy then count me in for one. Maybe even two.

I have in my possession two of these SocketRolls that Chris has generously donated for our SoCal Fest raffle. These things are heavy-duty and look to be really well-made. I can't wait to get my own and put it to use.

Well, it is May 1. It appears the campaign goes to the end of May. A bit over $6K raised.

I have sent a PM to Chris to try to check on the status of our group buy.

Not my chapter (though I'll be in El Segundo for thanksgiving) but you guys might be interested in these as well. http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=65 (they have red and black and 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive sizes.)

I use them for all my sockets at this point. The only thing I'll say about them is you should give them a soaking in WD40 or motor oil before putting sockets on or you risk pulling the posts off the urethane strip, and occasionally relube them. I love them other than that.

Back