• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Socal Smog fail.

All cars have some sort of EGR system. If you know so much how am I wrong?

OK. where can I find the EGR or EGR system on a HO? Valve timing (like you said in a previous post)? Because our XJ's are SOOOO advanced for their time right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Subscribing...

Thanks for the chance!

ibtl27bf23xd0.jpg

Where is my Christmas tailgate?

No problem. Grimm I had a stupid "failed smog" thread too. Guess what.....still haven't passed. good luck.....of course I haven't been trying much either.
im just trying to help us both out since we have the same problem. oh well. game over.

thanks for ruining my thread.

Mike, there are a few here that really dont care, I am interesed in this thread for the sole fact that I have 2 heeps up here that are needing smogs soon.

MODS - can you please remove all non topic related posts out of this thread to get it back where it belongs.

Man up people, keep it to your self

ok im a mechanic just like im sure everyone else in here is but heres an idea like kraker said nox is caused by high temperatures at combustion another thing that will cause high nox would be the size of your tires larger tires produce more than stock tires. also whats your gear ratio. and sorry if this was already posted the bs drama made me just start skipping it

i mentioned going to a colder plug in the first post, as was suggested to me by Andy. i also thought the tire size had something to do with it as i sugested to him when HE had a thread about his smog problem. i dont really have any money to spend, so i'd like to have a good list of things to check before i go for my retest. it passes find last time, so i was expecting it to do good this time as well. i saved up just enough to get the smog done and pay the registration, now im screwed. if i need a cat im gunna have to go hunting with the sawzall. (not really but thats the position im in)

You must embrace the SoCal drama! It will change your life!

Mike, check the codes and see if you have a misfire. Could be as easy as new plugs.

Here is one for you all to discuss. Grimm and I did this morning. Would 87 octane vs. 91 octane make a difference in those numbers? Grimm said he is running 87 octane because his jeep runs hot on 91 octane. Would higher octane gas cause combustion chamber temps to go up?

Kraker is right and so is Daytog, when the rest of you are ASE mechanics then you can start calling BS.

Two very likely solutions...

1. borrow some smaller tires and run it again.
2. Have the smog guy run it at a higher rpm (lower gear). Usually one gear down will not get it outside the rpm limit range, but it will raise the rpm enough to lessen the load on the engine and thereby reduce NOx

things to check tires, cat, plugs, also if u have a friend with a decent scan tool have him get the data input from the computer and check the o2 sensors for there activity i know they passed but do it just to make sure

Kraker is right and so is Daytog, when the rest of you are ASE mechanics then you can start calling BS.

Two very likely solutions...

1. borrow some smaller tires and run it again.
2. Have the smog guy run it at a higher rpm (lower gear). Usually one gear down will not get it outside the rpm limit range, but it will raise the rpm enough to lessen the load on the engine and thereby reduce NOx

OK. so everyone without ASE cert (a piece of paper) go home. You don't know anything. :moon:

Back