• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So our club did some good for the community...

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
Here's a summary:

We had a blizzard here in Nova Scotia on the 27th. And as luck would have it, about a month ago, I organized a group within the club called the SWAT Team (Severe Weather Assistance Team) - the goal being to make sure, during bad weather or natural disasters, the people involved with "essential servcies" could still get where needed - doctors, nurses, etc.

...and damn did we work our tails off! Here's a clip from one of the threads in our club's forum:

"To give folks an idea of the numbers from today...

~ we had, thoughout the day, 17 Jeeps in action
~ we had calls on 81 people today, including 2 doctors who were needed and one person who was urgently needed before a surgery could be performed
~ discounting cancellations and no-shows, we moved almost 60 people to where they were needed today
~ I now have almost every one of the cell phone numbers on the call-out list memorized...LOL
~ sadly, I'm almost starting to like the sound of J-La's voice...
sad.gif

We started this at 6:35 AM today and ran straight through the day. The last lady will make it into work tonight (thanks Len!
smiley.gif
) at about 10:30 PM.

That's 16 hours of slogging through the storm - wow!

Not sure what else to say about this. It was simply huge.

I'm calling it a big success - thanks to everyone for getting this done and making the SWAT Team a successful part of the club.
smiley.gif
"

What a huge sense of accomplishment. We would have been out playing in the storm anyway, so at least this way we're able to help our communities and build solid relationships within the communities. It may seem kind of dorky, but I was so proud of our club's efforts, I wanted to post up and spread the word.

Congrats to the Nova Scotia Jeep Club!

Congrats to you and your club for helping out your community in it's time of need. :wave:

GI-John said:
Congrats to you and your club for helping out your community in it's time of need. :wave:

Really good job! Thanks to 'yall for getting out and making good things happen!

Keep up the good work. Why not write a short article about it and submit it for inclusion in the NAXJA news letter or better yet, call the local news paper and see if they will run a short article. We can use all the positive publicity we can get.

old_man said:
Keep up the good work. Why not write a short article about it and submit it for inclusion in the NAXJA news letter or better yet, call the local news paper and see if they will run a short article. We can use all the positive publicity we can get.
Well, I write for a couple off-road magazines, so the article is underway now. We're going to include it in our Club's newsletter, but I'm happy to spread the word.

I'm also on the trail of local media. The day of the storm we got a mention on TV as the group we were supporting were very pleased to report we helped them maintain normal staffing levels.

It's all good and hopefully this will spur other clubs on to do similar things if they don't already.

Great Work!

You may want to think about a different name for it though. Makes it sound kinda 'wacker-ish'. The general public may read too much into the name.

Well done. I'd like to see more 4x4 clubs take on this kind of duty. I was on a call list with my local PD last winter, but we didn't have any huge storms and they never called.

Congrats.

Thanks guys. I'll tell you, this can be done by anyone, anywhere - I'm just a Jeep guy who knows a bit about organizing a group and PR. If anyone has any questions, post up or PM me - I'm happy to share my knowledge on this with fellow Jeep weirdos... :)

The group we helped sent out a press release yesterday - within 20 minutes I was interviewed by a local paper (it'll be out today) and had a National TV channel (CBC TV) looking to secure a ride with us during the next storm to develop a story around it.

THAT is the kind of good press we're after! :)

I'd be interested in that as soon as my XJ is up to it...We've reently been having some decent rains out here (nothing compared the monsoons in AZ or the rain you see in places where it actually rains...;)) and know up where my wife's family is there's probably lots of people who would need assistance getting in and out or downtown and such since the majority of the area is unpaved, and a lot is uninimproved (once you get in off the mian highway a little bit)

It's a great way to help your community and raise the profile of the sport.

Take a look into your insurance with your adjuster - make sure they fully understand it'sa volunteer thing and not a money making venture. I suggest this up front because if your insurance company says you shouldn't, then, well, you shouldn't.

It's nice to help out, but no one needs to lose their insurance for trying to do something good. If that checks out OK for you, get a local club involved, set some standards and be ready for the call. There's more details than that, but overall it's not a difficult thing to organize.

Back