• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So My XJ DRINKS Coolant!!!

Nipeater

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question, I have a 1994 XJ, with the 4.0. I poored in coolant yesterday to the full line and now its just below the fill line. It is not burning it off. Where in the hell is it going?

Thanks Casey

How does your oil look? If it looks like a chocolate milkshake, then you've found your problem.

Ok so its in the OIL pan because when I checked the OIL, its about a quart above the "Safe Line" but it is not burning the oil or the coolant. I believe the fix here is Head Gasket Rplacement correct? but the catch is it only doest it on long trips IE, over 60 miles. So should I fix it or Should I not Fix it.? and is the Head Gasket the correct Fix?

If your positive thats its coolant in the oil, you didn't just go wheelin thru some water did you?, then;

It could be a cracked block, but HG is more likely. Look around the motor well, look for any signs of cracked block or leaking HG.

Can't figure either, then I'd change the HG, you should be able to tell if the HG was leaking when you pull it, you'll see where the HG was leaking on the old HG.

Drive it as little as possible with coolant in the oil. I'd start with a head gasket and go from there.

How many miles are on your Jeep?

cracked head, or cracked block you've got water running through both, the head gasket is simple enough to replace, but you may consider having that head magnafluxed at a machine shop to check out any cracks that could be accounting for your leak. Also, once you remove the head, you may discover the failed gasket is the culprit by examining the gasket and mating surfaces for evidence of coolant ingress. if you don't have a crack in the head, and you replace the head gasket, and still have the leak, you'll know the block is your culprit.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Drive it as little as possible with coolant in the oil. I'd start with a head gasket and go from there.

How many miles are on your Jeep?[/quote

The truck has 100,700 miles, lets be honest here thats nothing for a 4.0L, its still breaking in. The Block is clean for the most part. I could eat off it. The only place I cant see that could be leaking is the back of the block where the fire wall is. Which i think is leaking a tad because there is oil residue on the short block but its not a lot. How can I be 100% sure that there is coolant in the Oil??? I honestly believe its a gasket issue, at least I am hoping so.

If the block was cracked wouldnt I see leakage???? The Short block is just as Silver as the day the truck came off the line

How would i know the block is cracked, I would i see it visually?

Also how long should it take me to replace the Head Gasket?

Last edited:
The block is possibly leaking internally into the oil pan, not on the outside. Check the color of your oil again - is it a milkshake brown, or just dark oil? Water/antifreeze in the oil gets emulsified when its pumped through back out the bearings, and will soon sieze one up. That's the key piece of info - what color is the oil?

If the oil is OK, and the tank just went down, that's normal, as the A/F was taking up air space in the system. It's why you filled it up. If it does it again, repeatedly, then look elsewhere for a leak - like the water pump, or a pinhole near a hose connection which may only leak running down the road. White smoke out the tail pipe also indicates steam from coolant.

You might see a block crack, but it would likely be in a cylinder wall internally. A head gasket change out is a long weekend, mostly getting off accessories in the way - the intake/exhaust bolts are the worst.

Keep diagnosing before you jump to a conclusion - we've all done it - my bad injectors were caused by a bad alternator diode and poor voltage, and one guy at work changed the heads on his V8 completely only to discover the backfire wasn't burned valves, but a wiped out cam lobe.

Again the family of Jeep owners and the information we help each other with is AWESOME! I went home at lunch and Checked my oil. I had my oil changed yesterday for good measure to see what was going on. I lost maybe 1.5 quarts of Collant since the oil change. So I pulled the Dip stick and the OIL was clean as a whistle so I was excited! I dipped it 3 times and it was clean all 3 times. I fired it up let it run for 15 minutes to see if the truck would leak. In the mean time I was looking around and said let me get under the truck and look at the splash guard. Sure enough I saw straks of Coolant marks all under the oil pan to the point it was glowing a nice Greenish yellow, actually Corrosion had started on the center of the oil pan. So now I understand what is happening. The motor is getting hot, the coolant begins to leak and since I am going 70 miles perhour I cannot see the leak and once the coolant hits the oilpan its evaporating since the oil pan is so hot. So worse comes to worse its a radiator. I am going to try and put a pressure tester on it this weekend to find the exact culprit, anybody know where I can get a good deal on a radiator if this is the case?????

P.S. I LOVE THIS MOTOR !!!!

If the coolant is running down the oil pan and all over it, it might be the water pump, they will start by weeping or leaking the coolant out the little weep hole on the bottom. It doesn't take long before they quit altogether, either come apart or spit out coolant like its a big open hole.

Not a guarantee, there could be a leaky hole or seal letting it run down to the oil pan.

The radiator, you can't rule it out, but how does the fluid get on the motor, it has to run up hill at least part way on the radiator hoses. If the radiator is leaking, and its making back to the engine, I would think the fan would pick it up and blow it all over the engine compartment.

Water Pump is a good call, but I think radiator well because if you look at the Splash gaurd on the inside it has antifreeze all over it starting from where the radiator is and then when going 65 to 75 MPH that flies up and splashes all over the oil pan, but in the end. I will take either of the 2 scenarios over something internal. :) If it is the water pump then the fix is even cheaper, but I willlook into both over the weekend.

It shouldnt be a problem driving on it so long as it has coolant correct?

Back