• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snorkels anyone?

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I live in the Northeast and bought my XJ about 2 years ago. within these past 2 years the weather here has been getting crazy. rain storms that flood out all of the roads, tropical storms that take out just about every tree thats left in the state. Along with snow storms and blizzards that make eveything harder to do. those last two im not too concerned with but the flooding bothers me cause we end up with about 2 feet of water EVERYWHERE because of how close we are to the ocean. I know that with the XJs you need to worry about sucking up water through the intake because of how low it sits under the hood. The only snorkel i can seem to find is the ARB snorkel. Are there any other companies or brands i should look at that may be cheaper?

How do the cowl cai hold up with rain water? Can't rain just pour right in the inlet and down into the intake. Or does it still have to pass through the stock airbox first.

that home brew one is actually almost identical to the one that i saw on cherokeeforum and i think im going to try that out since its soo cheap and money is tight

You can build your own for a fraction of the price....

DSCF6630.jpg

Cowl CAI looks easy to build and for less than $20 you can't beat that.

Two things -

The Safari Snorkel is the ARB Snorkel.

If you go with a cowl mount you'll be missing out on an important feature of a snorkel. That is the ability to draw clean air from up above the hood area. This actually does happen, it's amazing how long I go in between cleanings of my K & N filter.

I've had the Safari for years and highly recommend it. As long as you don't mind cutting a 3" hole in your fender!

I have been trying to think of the other manufacturer that makes a snorkel similar to the ARB, but it leaves a little more room on the fender for trimming, or flares. No luck searching since I can't remember the name, but maybe someone else can help.

One thing to note with the Airflow is that you'll need to remove or relocate the ABS pump on ABS equipped rigs. Once that's completed, though, the airflow setup is much more direct to the airbox than the circuitious route the ARB takes down the fender and back.

I'll likely be getting the ARB, as I think I'll probably be retaining my ABS system for some time. If I decide to delete the then-unneeded ABS pump, rather than just pulling the fuse when I install my 8.25, I might go the airflow route.

Both are high quality, dependable products, IMO, though, with the nod going to the airflow for several improvements over the ARB. I have to say I like the actual snorkel design of the ARB better, though.

I'm also considering doing a hybrid exo-cage at some point, and I am going to try to attach the snorkel to the a-pillar bar, rather than the a-pillar itself, and the ARB with it's "hose in the fender" approach, seems to lend itself better to that application, as I could simply drill the outer fender hole 3 inches further forward. The airflow would require some planning and major underhood re-arranging to have the outer and inner fender holes moved 3" forward.

I like that set up, any ill affects from rain? My snorkel I made with a cone filter on the outside filled my engine with water in a rain storm.

I like that set up, any ill affects from rain? My snorkel I made with a cone filter on the outside filled my engine with water in a rain storm.

Nope, I've driven highway speed in driving rain and snow with no moisture on the filter. The inlet of the ARB snorkel is designed to channel the water back to the outside and down the outside of the tube. Maybe you had something in there that not allowing that.

If you don't have ABS on your rig you can do like me. Cowl Snorkle FTW! I never plan on submerging my wiper cowl so this works perfect for me. Costed all of $9 to make, and uses the stock filter. Plus it's a sleeper mod! :shhh:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053241

xl04mo.jpg

16a3zh1.jpg

Best picture of it that I have:

15bc42fb.jpg

Cost be about $40. Plumbed right through the back of the airbox. Blocked off front hole with a piece of rubber and silicon. There is a rubber piece of tubing between the airbox and the fender, so I am able to pull the box with the snorkel installed.

Back