• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snapped shock mount -- what to do??

i know im bring back the dead with this thread, instead of makin a new one.. wanted to show everyone that i searched.. lol. how exactly is everyone "tightening" the bolts, i would assume that the nuts would cause the bolt to turn when tightening.. is everyone useing vice grips for the bolt and a wrench for the nuts?

Probably a wrench for both...if you can fit a vice grip in, you can fit a wrench.

yea i have no idea how everyone is tighening them, i understand fishing bolts through the A frame, but when there in, i just dont understand how everyone was able to put the nuts on the bolts without the bolts turning at the same time. i was thinking about maybe puttn some vice grips on the top part of the bolt then wrenching the nut until i have some thread behind it then move the vice grips behind the nut and continue to tighten.. amagine that would work.. right?

Not sure what the issue is here. Can you elaborate on how you can't tighten a nut on a bolt?

Post edit: Ok, so you know that you can actually fit a wrench/spanner inside the A frame over the bolt head, right? They're long enough, usually. Need a picture or something?

In case you don't know about these, here's a pic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kluc_ockoplochy.jpg

These things are like magic, like in Harry POTerer, you just need to point them in the general direction of the bolt head, and it'll hold it tight while you fondle and twist your nut.
File:Kluc_ockoplochy.jpg

Last edited:
I measured and cut access holes in the floor. Drilled and dremeled out the remains of the old nuts then welded in bolts thru the same holes. Put in the thickest bolts i could fit thru the shock-mounts too, should hold up a little better.

Will obviously re-plate the holes i cut. I'm in the process of patching a bunch of rust in the back anyway so a few more cuts didn't seem to matter

I used a 5/8 inch holesaw to drill out the four broken bolts. Then used 1/2 inch bolts to attach the sway bar end links. I then taped the nuts onto the open end wrench, fished it up in there, and cranked it down with the impact wrench.

Back