• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion

5 for me. If I could get either the 5 speed xj together or pry the keys from LG for Tree huger, the new name for greenie..... that could be a fun adventure. All of us invade that gathering......

Come on over! I'm camping 2 nights at the KOA - about 1/2 mile from the event center.

Ill be up there working in the toms 4x4 booth. We'll have the ls swapped brute up there

Sweet! There is a Brute looking thing down here in MB that is for sale. I want to say it was a 4 door. Damn think is 120K! :shocked:

Ill be up there working in the toms 4x4 booth. We'll have the ls swapped brute up there

I come by. Maybe you can sell me something chrome to bolt onto my Jeep to make it cooler at the grocery store.

Note: This was last year when it was in a parking lot outside. Being inside this year will be rather interesting.

Straight from their Facebook page. This used to be on their web site, but they changed their web site to forums only this year.

"We are a FAMILY oriented club for all "Open Top" Jeep enthusiasts and the only registered, non-profit Jeep Club in east Tennessee!"
https://www.facebook.com/smokymountainjeepclub

Supposedly some drama occurred when a line of not-Wranglers showed up last year and were turned away for not being Wranglers.

I am thinking about going this year mainly because I want to see the town, check out Dollywood, and see if the show is worth attending more than once.

Last edited:
All the more incentive to be there!!!

10 days to go....anyone else decide to make the trip to the mountains?

Wish I could. Too much going on with the kids starting back to school.

4 days and counting - looks to be good camping weather - lows in the low 60s all weekend!

The KOA. It's walking distance to the show so I can park at the show that morning and not need to move the truck again. Also, it has a pool, which the kiddos will like. Far from roughing it, but I do get to use my new 3 room tent!

Sweet! If I didn't need to work on "Tree Huger" (the 98's new name) and D's yard and my yard and the ATC I'd seriously consider driving the TDi up there for giggles. :gee:

Just got home within the hour. It was an enjoyable weekend. It was fun driving up and down the parkway and having Jeep after Jeep to wave at coming down the other side of the road. Lots of Jeep-watching.

The show was ok. Nothing that I need to clear my schedule for next year. I'd go if I was free that weekend. The show, as predicted, was almost exclusively JK and TJ - and a lot of them were pavement pounders. After seeing the 100th one in the parking lot they all started to look alike. I did walk the entire parking lot and found about 20 XJs and 2 MJs. Spoke to a few of the XJ owners and left NAXJA cards on all of them! The show, we stayed about 3 hours. The raffle was a lot of Wrangler-centric swag and most of the vendors were catering to them as well....which, from a business standpoint I can certainly appreciate. It was cool though, because we got done with the show early enough to ride go-karts on the parkway!

I stayed at a KOA. First time in a corporate campground. It was nice to have a pool, and kids activities, and an air conditioned room with a TV and computer. I'd definitely look at corporate campgrounds in the future. It was our first stay in the new 10 x 20 three room tent. Slept like a baby on a new queen air mattress and 65* weather.

The Jeep trip to Cades Cove was fine. We spotted about 9 miles from the scenic loop. That loop is another 11 miles. I pulled out at 11:09, and got back to the spot location at 1:30. We had around 200 Jeeps. It was a sight to see. They had the cops on the highway to block traffic to get us all out. The trip around the cove was very scenic for the first 8 miles. The last 3 were just "get me out of here - this is taking forever."

Here are some pictures of some of the Jeeps that I liked and the spotting for the Cades Cove ride.

Lining up at the Townsend Visitors Center.
1BF02052-0020-4FED-B391-B4A32972FE7C_zpsc3ugnz0i.jpg

A new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
9B2287AB-F460-4A91-81E0-ECD46379FC82_zpsexzqhnaf.jpg

Old Iron
3F1C8AA0-B7A7-4E42-84B5-6F98DE629F63_zpscz9vsquq.jpg

An original Tuxedo Park Mark IV
8D81354F-6074-4944-8B3B-7D2A5BBBF40E_zps6mucz7fj.jpg

This is a 1973 model with 442 actual miles on it
8D65FF72-A866-4805-9A2E-330E86596F47_zpsliaxq0le.jpg

Super clean restoration that was done earlier this year
B467FF58-D80A-4257-80B2-2C9C29CCEB95_zpstbk5swez.jpg

And one for Ed...
731361BE-45B6-4B26-9215-A09A101879F8_zpsdpqwo0ug.jpg

And for anyone that thought it wasn't possible....

Here is a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo diesel put into an XJ - that is on a FULL FRAME.

E5C19A31-D531-4CCC-A05B-BD2B5DE281CB_zpsecfrjslp.jpg

68ED879E-841B-4495-866D-2F03AC5401A0_zpsfwcbvyvj.jpg

2E62B4AC-6236-4595-BB9C-8704117CE107_zpsnncfz67v.jpg

1DC07A72-1E6F-495D-B1AF-78CD8D89237B_zps6m4jkxqz.jpg

Love the Honcho and the CJ-6. That silver and black Renegade is nice! I'd like to go to something like this one day.

Back