• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoker - Propane or Charcoal?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I don't want to start a heated war as I am sure both sides have strong opinions :chef: . However, my awesome ole lady got me a smoker for my birthday and she went back and forth on gas or charcoal and ended up with a propane setup. She said thats what the store recommended but of course says I should exchange it for whatever type I want. So before I open and start smoking with it I thought I would ask around for opinions.

I've had some friends swear propane ruins the taste while others say you can't tell propane was used. The benefit of propane is the ease of use factor and not checking the charcoal every few hours. Another propane con is the cost, a tank will last what 20 hours?

I love my charcoal grill and have no interest in a propane grill but propane in this case is just used to keep the smoke going so I am leaning towards using in. but the cost has me hesitant.

For a smoker, I do not see the gas being an issue. I would consider a wood pellet/wood smoker. Costco has a nice Traeger unit.

Well it won't be real bbq but that's ok....we're not judging you.

JkDso9X.jpg

wood

Back