• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smell

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
I am noticing a fuel smell around the front of the vehicle. I cannot pinpoint when the smell shows up or where it is coming from. All I know is I can smell it sometimes in the cab with windows down, and after I shut engine off. I have recently replaced the evap canister next to the heater valve. Can anyone direct or tell me where else to check for leaks and how to detect them. I cannot just smell everywhere for the smell is all around the front. I just do not know how to isolate the problem. And search did not help much. :paperwork

Thanks,
Silent

You need to park it till you find the problem. A few people have lost their Jeep for not doing so.

The number 1 cause of fuel odor is the fuel injector o-rings on the intake manifold, or possibly the fuel regulator at the front end of the fuel rail. It's not a tough job to do.

What happens is the o-rings on the injector leak and the header is just below, igniting the fuel. Quite often this fire melts the hood release cable, and burns the Jeep to the ground.

Grab an extinguisher and start it with hood open...take a look at the injectors and look for indicators of a wet injector. The o-ring kit is very cheap less, than $20. I recommend a search for the repair procedure.

check for small leaks in and around the injectors, and at the quick disconnects for the fuel lines. Also check the fuel pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail. If rust is a possibility, check the fuel lines all the way from the rail back to the tank.

You don't say what year, but if it's an older Renix 4.0, it's pretty common for the injectors to develop leaks at the electrical connectors.

Gas evaporates so quickly that it may take some sleuthing to find a very small leak, and you'll probably have to do it with engine running. Look for little damp spots. You may never see a drip.

If you do find a leak, fix it fast. You really don't want your Jeep to burn to a crisp, and it really can if it has a fuel leak.

Finally, make sure you're really smelling it from the front. These things can be deceptive sometimes, so while you're at it check the under-chassis lines, the filter and the tank. Steel tanks can rust around the seams or at the top, and produce a steady gas odor without ever dripping.

e.t.a I see John b beat me to it. O-rings are a cheap fix, and worth doing, but do note that if it's a leak in the injector itself, it cannot be fixed, so check the connector area carefully.

x2

I've had 3 injectors fail at the electrical connection, they tend to fill up the cavity of the connector.

Also had this leaking fuel ignite while I was driving in the dunes, luckily I keep an extinguisher in the jeep at all times, I put it out, but the damage was done.. Melted half of my injector harness, and I spent 4 hours in the parking lot rewiring, then ended up getting it home and got an entire new harness from the dealer...

All these things could have been avoided... I now keep 2 spare injectors with me wherever I go, as well as a o-ring kit.

what kind of smell is it and what year is your xj.

if its gas, then most likely its the injectors, o-rings, fuel regulator, or fuel line dissconnect.

could also be a craked line to the canister.

I am sorry. I have a 95, 4.0 HO, 2wd. I was looking around and seems that the stock injectors have a problem leaking and the single hole injector clogs easily. Although I am not quite sure if that is my problem. I am going to start with them. I was also wondering if am replacing them should I go ahead and replace the fuel regulator. If so, what is a good one, or should I stay stock. BTW, these are the injectors I am getting that might help with the regulator question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-4-0-Bosch-Design-III-fuel-injectors-NEW-SET-6_W0QQitemZ330088884434QQcategoryZ33554QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Let me know.

Thanks,
Silent

Back