• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Pop-up camper

I had a guy drive 8 hours to buy mine... If its good, they will come. I can tell you now though, 400-500 bucks worth of steel aint gonna cut it. You build the trailer you have posted in your pics, it'll be every bit of a grand or more if you use new steel. Unless you already have axles, springs, tires, wheels, lights, paint, etc. Hell, I had almost $300 bucks in just hardware and small tidbits. An entire tank of Argon, two 10 pounds spools of MIG wire. It all adds up, and by then you could have had a decent pre-made trailer and saved yourself a ton of time.

Im just playing Devils Advocate, trailers are fun to build, if you have a few hundred hours of labor to donate. Im interested in what you decide... go camping with us next weekend, and we can have a trailer building discussion around the camp fire and enjoy a few adult beverages.

When I bought my trailer I paid $3900. He told me that was exactly what he had into it. He had the receipts to back it up. To do one right they get expensive in a hurry.

I don't doubt it. I guess it all depends on what kind of steel prices I can get. I should have a quote this afternoon.

I called one place in town here (Only sells full length sticks) and my quote was right at 700 for enough to make the trailer, not counting the axle kit ($179). I already have the wheels and tires.

I've got a good set of lights laying around, a nice trailer wiring kit, I don't see where I'll be using much hardware and I'll pick up a standard ball hitch from tractor supply. I won't have much use for a L-n-R or Pintle.

I had plans to put a MAX coupler on my homebuilt trailer, but never taxed to the ball hitch so I just just rocked it... It worked just fine for mild trails.

Don't have one yet.

It's this model here... except it's bone stock and sits about 6 inches off the ground. If this guy can make it look like that... so can I.

39.jpg

The only difference between this one and the one I'll be picking up is that it has an air conditioner.

I figure that I'll most likely remove most of the interior, make room for a mini fridge, a microwave and a tiny amount of seating. Maybe a couch across one side.

The one I'm picking up has decent canvas on it. It has one small spot starting but it can be patched well enough for now. The "headliner" is sagging and needs to be replaced and it's missing one of the matresses.

Other than that the floor was replaced with 3/4" ply wood last year, the a/c works, it has new wheel bearings, hubs and tires.

I know very little about these things but I think it'll be fun to fix it up.

I'd like to make more storage, lighting and get it a few more inches off of the ground...

It's a 1987 Starcraft (8ft, I think)

I plan to pick it up this afternoon and I'll take some pictures of it.

Last edited:
Stump, what size is your pop-up? This one seems to be 8ft x 6.5ft.

You and I need to brain storm on what cool stuff I can add to this thing...

Is this a bad time to mention that i bought an 82 Coleman for 200 bux? It came with all the mattresses and was in good shape for how old it was. Ill have to post a pic later.

I have taken that thing to JV a couple of times and will be utilizing it in April a couple of times.

Works well if you have kids and and GF/ wife. Camping in tents is cool but the tent trailer makes it more fun.

Sure, go for it. Have you done anything to it other than use it?

I've been steadily brain storming about what I can do to it.

My wife and 2 kids will enjoy it... they better!

Sure, go for it. Have you done anything to it other than use it?

I've been steadily brain storming about what I can do to it.

My wife and 2 kids will enjoy it... they better!

All i did was get new tires from Harbor Freight. I would run bigger tires but the door step would be in the way so it limits the size tire i can run.

i've got an 83 coleman colorado that i picked up for 50 bucks a few yrs ago. nice light weight and doesn't have all the extra crap that the others do. i did a spring flip on it and am running a set of 205's on it at the moment, as soon as i can find the axle i'm looking for a decent price it's gonna go a little bigger and get some 265's like the ZJ. i built a rack for the front and soon it will get some tube to protect the rear as well as possibly a swingout tire carrier.

only pic i can find at the moment. this was 2 days after i bought it so it's still a low rider.
2010-03-07093945.jpg

if you need a little extra height, you could always add some wooden bumps, like the PO of my trailer:
IMG_0747.jpg

not a pop up, but heres mine:
IMG_0735.jpg

Back