• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skwerly's '78 Ramcharger 440: Slow Build

Nice. Straight Chuck Norris Lone Wolf McQuade style!

hahahahaha, for sure! :D

Update: 440 runs smooth as heck. Fires right up with a blip of the key and idles without a single stumble. Has good vacuum, too, so that’s awesome.

I’ve started painting the top (not for permanent, just for an emergency measure to stop the rust monster), and did a little tidying up in the engine bay.

Fun!

Now you have a tow rig for the heep! Ha.

I had a '78 ramcharger with a 360 in it on 35's. It was an ex forest service truck with a four speed granny gear trans and a 203 case. I went everywhere in that damn thing. Kinda miss it for those adventure trips with lots of gear and kids.

Have fun with the build.

Oh, cool!

Thank you. :)

The general idea with this thing is to pull a small camp trailer in the future and to, like you said, have room for more goodies. I also love the 203 case. I love not having to get out and lock hubs. :D

The only thing I didn't like about mine was the 360, it was a dog engine. I did a ton of work on it and it was still slow. My money would have been much better spent on a junk yard 440. damn it now I gotta look for one for the desert place.

LOL!

Yeah, *all* engines from the late seventies are dogs. Even the 440 is mediocre at best, but it'll still pull a trailer, which is what I need it to do. :)

Thta's why I love my 1971 FE390 ;)

Welp, due to the 100-plus temps, I haven’t gotten a whole lot done on the RC. I’ve masked the windows and painted about ½ the top with rust-stop paint, and now I’m not even sure I like the white; it’s waaaaay bright.

I’ve tinkered a bit in the engine bay, fixing years of weird issues that people have neglected and/or jimmy rigged. It’s fun, but I sure wish it were 70 out instead of 100... :(

Funny conversation with the wife last nght(She's in Boston) after the obligatory how was you and the kids day discussion.

Her: so what you doing tonight?
Me: Just cruising Craigslist and Ebay.
Her: (big sigh) Now what are you looking for???
Me: Nothing special(she knows better) just seeing whats out there.
Her: Ok...What did someone buy that you used to own and now miss. (Crap!!!!)
Me: Ummmm Nothing really!!!
Her: When I get home I expect to see the same number of things we had when I left.
Me: Of course baby. So what clients are you meeting tomorrow?
Her: We don't need anything to keep at the desert house! ( Damn )

Went down hill from there...

I’ve been tinkering on the Ramcharger when I can, and yesterday I replaced the badly failing battery cable ends with brand new units. The one thing I do not need on this thing is electrical issues.

I also picked up a can of bed liner for the rear/bed area. We almost never have anyone else in our rig so I’m considering removing the back seat. Of course, I’d keep it in case, but I’m really not sure I’ll need it a whole lot. We’ll see; just pretty much thinking out loud.

I wrangled a good free battery after wheeling and dealing with a buddy of mine, so that’s cool. What I really need is a trip to the junkyard so that I can pick up a zillion odds and ends the thing needs.

Also, I’ll finish a quick and dirty paint of the shell soon. It’s about halfway done now.

Back