• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skagit River Bridge Collapse (I5)

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Bummer.

101057.jpg

Story here.

I was catching up on some daily news when I had to do a double take of this headline. That's going to create a big headache for those who use that section of I5.

ohh wow. id be interested to see the rebuild happen. I% is a HUGE shipping corador. that small bridge on the sideroad cant handle all that traffic. there is going to be an epic bout of engineering and construction happen there PDQ.

thats some crazy dustin, thx for sharing.
Bronze.

I guess the tuck driver, and the two cars' occupants were all extracted/saved/rescued without issue.
75,000+ vehicles drive over that bridge everyday.... thats gonna be one helluva disruption to commuter/freight traffic.
I just think its odd that one strike to a girder would have taken the whole section out like that....oversized load or not....seems odd.
Granted the bridge was built in the 50's (iirc) .....but had passed its last inspection just fine and was not slated for any repairs or replacement.

Well, at least the Burlington-Mt Vernon bridge is newer. This would have sucked even worse with the old one. Still going to be a traffic mess.

I just think its odd that one strike to a girder would have taken the whole section out like that....oversized load or not....seems odd.
Granted the bridge was built in the 50's (iirc) .....but had passed its last inspection just fine and was not slated for any repairs or replacement.

I read this morning that he hit multiple girders/beams... God damn immigrants!

I work hundreds of feet in the air, but I still get a tinge of nervousness everytime I drive over one of these old bridges...

It was nice to hear everyone was ok, I was expecting casualties. The dude sitting on the top of his car looks COLD!

Blame Canada?

Of course!! lol

A friend of mine drove over that bridge just 5 minutes before it collapsed, definitely a scary thought of what COULD of happened

This is kinda creepy...

large_train.jpg

Photo courtesy Dan Kerlee
This panorama is believed to have been taken on or near May 15, 1903 when the Great Northern Railway bridge collapsed into the Skagit River. This was taken roughly 1,200 yards east of where the Interstate 5 bridge collapsed Thursday night. The 1903 bridge collapsed because of a weak foundation, and two train employees were killed. Three people were injured in the 2013 collapse, but all were in stable condition and expected to survive.

http://kiro.tv/13QLixt

wow look at that engine all sideways, almost made it to the other side! I wonder how they recovered it, what technology was used in 1903 for such feats?

wow look at that engine all sideways, almost made it to the other side! I wonder how they recovered it, what technology was used in 1903 for such feats?

C4

Back