• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sixguns, Horses and Cowboy Outfits =

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
Single Action Shooting Society End of Trail. Every summer the organization holds its world championship of cowboy action shooting at Founders Ranch in Edgewood, NM. Firearms must be of 19th century design. The action shooting stages consist of different scenarios involving 1 to 4 firearms and other weapons and props and have names such as Ride to Boot Hill, Nobody Throws Me My Gun and Says Run, We Deal in Lead Friend and Generosity Was My First Mistake. Mounted shooting stages involve barrel racing while shooting balloons with pistols, rifles and shotguns. The shooting is only half the fun. Everyone is required to develop a Wild West alias and dress the part. Personas can be based on historical figures, outlaws, lawmen, movie or TV characters. SASS members register their alias with the club which makes sure that everyone is unique. Founders Ranch has a dozen shooting ranges, 2 riding arenas and to complete the theme, an Old West town that has more saloons than churches.

A typical action shooting stage involving 2 pistols, 1 rifle, a club and a shotgun:
This competitor begins by shooting “gunfighter style”- a pistol in each hand.
orig.jpg

This lady used one pistol at a time. I was surprised to see that almost half of the participants were women!
orig.jpg

The pistols are emptied and returned to leather, then the next targets are engaged with a rifle. Note the airborne cases- these guys (and gals) could shoot as quickly and accurately with lever action rifles as most people could with a modern semiautomatic weapon.
orig.jpg

Then you clobber 2 targets with the club and move over to the shotgun table.
orig.jpg

By the way, the fastest time on this stage was 14.07 seconds.

For me the biggest excitement was over in the arena where the mounted shooting events took place. Riders had two .45 revolvers loaded with 5 blanks apiece. Their goal: shoot 10 balloons faster than anyone else.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Yes, some of the ladies even competed while wearing Victorian dresses.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Women seemed to be the majority of competitors in the pistol category. Rifle and shotgun events were all men.
orig.jpg

Half the course is shot with the pistol…
orig.jpg

…then the rifle or shotgun is drawn and the second half is completed. All under the clock.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Cowboy themed entertainment was also featured, such as a shootout…
orig.jpg

The Rhinestone Roper also showed off various skills.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

For a fee you could fire a gatling gun circa 1874 or 1897.
orig.jpg

If that wasn’t enough noise for you there was also a 50mm Krup mountain howitzer for rent. Only $40 a boom! I don’t know what the MP40 was doing there but this looks like it could be a scene from a Harry Turtledove novel.
orig.jpg

Just walking around to absorb the scenery was entertaining.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

A restored stagecoach?
orig.jpg

Hardly! Although they had one of those too, this was a cart for transporting weapons. Everyone had some sort of contraption to carry their guns and ammo to the shooting bays. Some were no more than jogging strollers or hand trucks loaded with everything the action shooter needs through the day. Other people went all out in crafting their cart.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I hope you did not mind the black-n-white photos. I have been in a monochromatic mood lately and it really suited this subject. The next event at Founders Ranch is the Outlaw Trail, August 5-8.

Looks pretty sweet. I'd like to get into cowboy action shooting but I can barely afford my modern action shooting.

That looks so cool.

Never, never...never never never EVER...mess with this woman...

orig.jpg

Great stuff Alex. What process are you using to go the B&W route. Looks very good.

Thanks for sharing! Pretty neat stuff.

:wave:

Never, never...never never never EVER...mess with this woman…
I don’t know which of these ladies I am more afraid of…
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I would not cross either one, that is fer sure!
Great stuff Alex. What process are you using to go the B&W route. Looks very good.
Thanks! The short answer is I set the camera to monochrome. Long explanation to follow, those of you who are not into photography can stop reading now:

My goal is to always get the photo I want just by pushing the button on the top of the camera. By carefully and deliberately adjusting the camera menus and settings I can avoid spending a lot of time at my computer editing photos. Photoshop is a necessary evil that I try to avoid as much as possible. I used to love it but not anymore!

For this particular event the goal was to make black-n-white photos that froze the action, putting the skill of the participants on display. I chose b/w because the action depicted was from before the days of color photography and my eye just visualizes that era in monochrome. People really look good in shades of grey. Skies and clouds are also beautifully rendered. It is all about texture and contrast. Plus I have just been in the mood to do black-n-white lately.

Camera settings
Tonality is taken care of by setting picture control to monochrome. In the “manage picture control” menu I chose the yellow filter. This adds contrast to the sky and people. I also used a screw-on circular polarizer the entire day for the same reason. Clouds really pop thanks to that puppy! Active D-Lighting is set to “high”, this could be a permanent setting for my camera. Every camera I own has some form of this feature, I love it because it gives me more detail in the highlights and shadows, sparing me from the #1 reason for having to resort to Photoshop. Sharpening is set to the third from lowest box, this is one area where Photoshop gives me better control than Nikon.

Another feature I love is Auto ISO. It was turned on, max ISO set to 3200, min shutter speed set to 1/1000 to stop motion. Some of the photos were bumped up as far as ISO 500 without me even having to think about it. Exposure mode is set to aperture, I control this third of the exposure equation, the camera does the other 2 parts. Action shooting stages were photographed with my 50mm lens set at f/5.6. Mounted shooting was photographed with a 70-200mm zoom. Aperture varied from f/2.8, where I struggled with the short depth of field and some falloff, to f/4. I am not used to telephoto lenses, most of the time I am up close using a wide angle lens so this was good experience. I also need more experience using the continuous auto focus mode, it did not always agree with me on what should be the focus point on my moving subjects.

Since anticipating action only gets me so far, drive mode stayed in continuous high all day long. Because I was expecting to have a lot of photos image size/quality was set to small/fine. Some of the crops suffered in quality due to the small file I started with. I don’t know what I would have done with 1200 12mp photos anyways!

Photoshop actions
Basically I set up the camera to make the exposure that I want. My job is composition and anticipating where the action is going to be… the two things that Photoshop can’t do for me! Actually, the crop tool in PS did help with a few of the more distant equestrian subjects. I normally crop with the camera but it was hard to keep up with galloping horses so some of my compositions needed help. The only other exposure adjustment I made at my computer was highlights/shadows to lighten shadows on some of the riders who’s faces were shaded from the midday sun by their hats. Compare the face in the 2 photos of the cavalry guy on the pinto pony. I didn't adjust the one where he is using his pistol, the one where he is drawing the shotty has been lightened.

Then it is “process multiple files” time. This is my favorite part of Photoshop! I pick source and destination folders, put 900 pixels in the image width box, check “resize” and “constrain proportions”, select “convert to JPEG high quality”, check the “sharpen” box in the quick fix tab then hit OK and walk away. After most trips this is all I need to do to prepare all my photos for the web. The photos look sharp on a web page and download quickly!

Some things I would do differently next time.
Skip using the VR. At 1/1000sec there is no need! :doh:
Use a smaller aperture on the telephoto lens.

Pay attention to the circular polarizer. Some of the scenes had better skies in portrait orientation than in landscape orientation because of where the polarizer was set.

Maybe pick up a battery grip. An extra 3 fps would have been nice. More importantly, I will be the first to admit I do very few photos in the portrait orientation simply because I hate holding the camera that way.

Finally - talk to the people, get them to pose and use flash when it won’t cause a distraction.

Very cool, would have loved to have gone. Thanks for the pics!

I agree with everyone above, great pics, thanks for sharing! although this one was my favorite :gag:

orig.jpg

Sweet report. Sounds like it was a blast. I could go for the ground-pounder stuff,.. not sure about the mounted,..

Let's see,.. get a "western" rig,.. get a pair of SA revolvers,..
get a horse,.. find somewhere to store the horse,... find somewhere to practice,... transport said gear (and horse!) to NM,...
This could cost as much as desert racing! :D

For those not in the know, they don't do the balloon shooting off horseback with real bullets. That's why he can take photos of the shooting stage from "down range" looking up the gun barrel. It's a light powder load pushing a load of clay(similar to cat litter in consistency)only has a few yards of effective range. '2nd photo of the 2nd post is a perfect pic. of this. You can see the shotgun effect of the projectiles passing the balloon. Even so, hitting a balloon sized target with about a 1 square foot shot charge from the back of a galloping horse. Awesome shooting!

'Wonder if I could borrow a horse,...

Oh yeah! Need to learn to ride a horse! :laugh3:

Great game, played it for about eight years. It is a little expensive when you get fully outfitted--two revolvers, lever/pump rifle in pistol caliber, lever/pump/double barrel shotgun, holsters, shotgun shell belt, hat(s), boots--the basics. When starting out you can use a single-shot shotgun, you can even shoot one pistol with a reload, but you aren't having as much fun. There are plenty of people that have spare guns and are quite generous in loaning equipment. When I started I had a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag/.44 Special, and wore my hunting boots and an old fedora.

There are often side matches with derringers, pocket pistols, and large rifles like the .30-30 and .45-70, even buffalo rifle shoots. Sometimes there are "gallery" shoots with .22 caliber, and even Wild Bunch matches with 1911s.

Lots of fun, Wife and I both shot it. Only quit when I had to take in two of the grandchildren, and then I got sick and that pretty much killed it.

Great people, and other than some occasional club politics crap TONS of fun.

Back