• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SIMPLE ROOF ????'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPRPRBGT

NAXJA Forum User
we are thinking of cutting off my buddies roof on his 2 door xj. if we leaft everything from the doors up how flexy will the unibody be? basically just removing the back side windows. and come up with a tailgate? he is planning on a cage someday. its on 33's right now and its mostly street driven and mild trails.

oo i did do some searching but didnt really find what i was lookign for

You'll need to brace the subframe some how... The pillars are the only backbone it has. It's gunna twist up like a pipe cleaner if ya ask me.

buddy of mine has cut his roof off like you describe and no cage and no twisty pipe cleaner action

he did plate his entire frame with 1/8" steel though

ktm racer 419 said:
buddy of mine has cut his roof off like you describe and no cage and no twisty pipe cleaner action

he did plate his entire frame with 1/8" steel though

Well yeah... if you replate the whole subframe it won't twist as much... I'd still have at least some kind a tie-in.

ah go ahead... I wanna see some pics of it with the roof cut off. Instead of cutting the whole roof off. Just cut from the b pillar back and make a truck out of it.

thats what we were thinking. just cut from the b pillar back then when we do the cage maybe cut the doors and b pillar out. just not sure yet.

i want to se it as a truck to just not bent in half. itll mess up the ground clearance

LOL yeah i'd say folding it in half would uck up ground clearance. I think that if you leave that much of the roof you'll be ok... I'd still want somem ore support but thats just me... I'd go ahead and cut it off.

myabe ill get a few peices of 2x4 tubing and make an internal frame section. just burn it in right through the floor.

we were also thinking of taking the doors off but firgured we'd need all the strenght we can get.

i read that someone slid tube inside the unibody rails? is that what i think it is? are the channels straight that you could just slide it in a do a few roset welds? it cant be that easy

Their straight, tho I've never done that... I once cut the roof of an xj from the b-pilar back, sleeved the frame railes with 11ga. sheet metal and built a cage straight into the frame rails from the a pillar back... rolled it over quite a many times.

i used a 100ton press break and bent 1 foot sections to match the frame rails. then welded on 1 foot at a time all the way down both sides... I dont have any pics but i know theres one guy on here somewhere with some pics of the same thing done.

They look kinda crooked when you flex without the tailgate or rear section on.

jeepflex1.jpg

I would expect things to fatigue very quickly if you do that often.

lowrange2 said:
WHoWHooWHOo WHoo! It's the search police! Freeze! Mutha F-ER!

Just trying to keep the repeated questions down. Oh and how much longer are you going to lurk around here without paying any dues? Oh and do you have any pictures of that jeep where you "rolled it over quite a many times", must be one hell of a cage to take that kind of abuse, I'd really like to see it.

Yeah I've been meaning to pay my dues since I'm the only one left of the boards that hasn't paid! It's on my "to-do" list.

As far as the excellent cage goes that I've got, I could only find one picture of it. but here ya go.

I decided that climbing thru the windows would be the best way to get in and out! Safety comes before comfort! Just look at those clean welds! Nearly 50 roll-overs and only minor scratchs!
DSC04810.jpg

I realize the need to search! It was a lil too late! He had already made the thread and I, being a friendly kinda guy, kindly gave him my opinion. If he created a thread then chances are that he had already SEARCHED, and did not find what he was looking for. It seems kinda strange to me that you would be-bop into the middle of a thread, 6 responses later, and tell him to search! Incase you haven't noticed, with over 32,000 posts on this board alone, MOST threads have already been covered several times! So if you're gunna spend ALL your time telling people to "Search" then you had better get started now! I see at least 9 active threads that have been covered several times on the first page of modified tech. Good Luck Good buddy. Cheers

I know! LOL I assume that from now on when i see a topic that has already been covered I'm supposed just tell the guy to "Search... Tough chit you're on your own... I know the answer and could type it in a few strokes but HA HA Search b****!" I just think the search function could be a lil more productive. I'm on here for my personal knowledge gain as well as to help anyone with somthing i am fluent with... I don't get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back