• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple Head Unit - just an amp with a volume knob?

I'm settled on something like this I think,

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-304

Still cheaper than just an amp and it seems most reviews are happy with the sound quality. But it is four channels - what do I need to do to get a sub in addition to the four factory speaker locations?

What do you recommend for speakers brand wise? Looking for good value.

I'm settled on something like this I think,

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-304

Still cheaper than just an amp and it seems most reviews are happy with the sound quality. But it is four channels - what do I need to do to get a sub in addition to the four factory speaker locations?

What do you recommend for speakers brand wise? Looking for good value.
If you look at the ZOOMed image of the 2nd pic on the site, it has an audio OUT. You would run that to a powered sub or an amp > passive sub.
If you plan on using the remote, it has to be mounted in a location close and in direct site as the remote is IR.

Ok, that's kinda confusing what is marked on the amp - at least to me it is... Reading the Q&A section it is described to work as you stated.

Too bad the manual isn't available for download.

10" sub for this enclosure?

http://subthump.com/Jeep-Sub-Boxes/Cherokee

Is there such thing self powered that will fit?

I would love one of these amplifiers if they would just include standard 12v hookups.

Q-logic USED to make an XJ sub enclosure that was powered I believe.

Come to think of it, once the gain on a normal amp is set to a sane level do you really need a volume control on the amp given that the mp3 playing device has a volume control built in?

This what I plan on doing to my trail rig. Mount the amp under the front seat and hook my iPod to it. Then i can use the stock radio location for switches/gauges etc.

This is giving me a lot of ideas for a portable sound system I have planned...Just need to find on of them amps with 100w RMS per channel or so.

I would just get a headunit from walmart with an aux jack. I mean the radio already has a built in amp, all of them do. Will be the same either way, just you'll retain your FM radio one way.

And speaking of a portable sound system....

What do you think of my creation??!??!? lmao

64993-cooler5.jpg

I would just get a headunit from walmart with an aux jack. I mean the radio already has a built in amp, all of them do. Will be the same either way, just you'll retain your FM radio one way.

This is for my trail rig, I do not need a radio as the trails I run are out of range to pick up good. The only time you have reception is at the top of the mountains.

CD's skip on the trail so I just need to run my iPod. Keep it simple.

if that still holds beer I LOVE IT :D

Haha holds 2 30 packs :D

And what i mean is you can get the radio from walmart CHEAPER than you can do it the other way and still obtain the same results with just more audio control. Most all head units they sell these days come with the AUX audio jack in the front and the ipod hookup. I use no CD's in my jeep, only the audio jack and my phone. Just a suggestion really, you can the the $80 dollar deal? i think it is at walmart that comes with 2 5/4" speakers, 2 6x9's, and a sony head unit with the audio jack in the front.

From a sound quality perspective, passing your signal through a cheapo Wal-Mart head unit will degrade the signal considerably.

Yeah, that's the thing. I want minimalist AND good sound quality. The little Lepai amps supposedly have big and clear sound considering what they are.

Using the volume control on your tablet will work if you have your gains set correctly on the amp to help prevent distortion. (Given that you go from your tablet straight to an amp using a headphone to rca adaptor.) Only down side to it is there is now power supplied to the tablet. I plan on running an IPad2 with a molded in dock that will supply power as well as audio out to my system using one port. If you run into any issues feel free to shoot me a PM. I do this kind of thing for a living. drivennashville.com

This what I plan on doing to my trail rig. Mount the amp under the front seat and hook my iPod to it. Then i can use the stock radio location for switches/gauges etc.

Thats all I did on a Samurai I had. An amp under the dash with a mini plug sticking through thr ashstray.
I just plugged in my I-pod and voila.. Tunes :)

Back