• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SIM card (cell phone)

MyJeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ive always had CDMA phones in the past... Had been with Sprint for several years, then when I got so far behind on the bill they shut me off (wife has been out of work), I went with Virgin Mobile (prepaid Sprint, for the sake of argument).

Now I have a GMS phone, from Net10 (a fraction of TracFone), which from what I read uses Cingular and T-Mobile circuits.

Anyway, to the question... As does most GMS phones (all?) this one has a SIM card. I dont fully understand what its for or what it does, but Im under the impression that my phonebook is saved on it.

Would this mean if I switch phones (given that I stay with the same carrier) that I will have all the same numbers in the new phone?

Curious about this nifty looking SIM card and what its for, what it does...

Thanks,
Andrew

As I understand it, the SIM card can be moved from phone to phone, retaining your number and account information. Thus, you'd be able to move your SIM card into another phone (either an unlocked phone, or one on the same carrier,) and make calls from your number and on your dime, instead of the other guy's.

The SIM card can also be moved if you replace/upgrade phones, which I'm thinking of doing (I've got a secondhand Treo 270 - with lines down the display and I've broken the cover twice now, and it's held together by CA glue. I've GOT to get a new phone...)

Anyhow, the SIM card corresponds to the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) lookup in the old CDMA system - but now, the number is encoded into the card rather than hardwired into the phone. Easier in some ways, and it also enables you to pull the SIM card if you're going to go away, and leave the phone where the kids can get at it.

5-90

5-90 said:
As I understand it, the SIM card can be moved from phone to phone, retaining your number and account information. Thus, you'd be able to move your SIM card into another phone (either an unlocked phone, or one on the same carrier,) and make calls from your number and on your dime, instead of the other guy's.

The SIM card can also be moved if you replace/upgrade phones, which I'm thinking of doing (I've got a secondhand Treo 270 - with lines down the display and I've broken the cover twice now, and it's held together by CA glue. I've GOT to get a new phone...)

Anyhow, the SIM card corresponds to the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) lookup in the old CDMA system - but now, the number is encoded into the card rather than hardwired into the phone. Easier in some ways, and it also enables you to pull the SIM card if you're going to go away, and leave the phone where the kids can get at it.

5-90

That pretty much sums it up right there...lol! You also have the option of saving your phone settings and phonebook stuff and whatnot to the phones memory, rather than the SIM card. I wish I could figure out how to do that on mine, b/c im looking at upgrading my phone in the future.

Back