• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Chapter Gun Crew *M&G*

JeepFreak21 said:
Anybody interested in meeting Gary E and I at the Gun Room (indoor range in Elk Grove) one of these evenings?

www.thegunroom.org

Billy

I would be interested, but that a bit too far for me to drive. I know there is a nice indoor gun range in Vacaville, just around the corner from the Round Table we had our last get together at.

JeepFreak21 said:
Hmmmm... what kinda piece do you have? :D
Billy

Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 .45 . Its a sweet shooting gun, and it looks nice too. :greensmok

standard.jpg

The Vacaville shooting range is really nice. $12 range fee for 1 hr, longer if nobody is there waiting. The ammo is fairly cheap if you need it too.

Sounds fun to me! I too favor the vacaville location.

40 S&W P229
Ruger Blackhawk 45 Long Colt

Or on a weekend we can head to Yolo Sportsman Assoc and do some Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet, or use the other ranges :)

I might be interested as well. This may be a dumb question but I've never been to an indoor range, can you shoot rifles there?

There is a place near Jenkinson Lake not far up Mormon Emigrant with a bank pushed up for shooting. Range is probably less than 50 yards. It might be fun to get a group together and shoot some trap as well as pistols and rifles. A guy even brought a potato gun once.

seymouj said:
I might be interested as well. This may be a dumb question but I've never been to an indoor range, can you shoot rifles there?

There is a place near Jenkinson Lake not far up Mormon Emigrant with a bank pushed up for shooting. Range is probably less than 50 yards. It might be fun to get a group together and shoot some trap as well as pistols and rifles. A guy even brought a potato gun once.

Yeah, handguns, riffles, shotguns... all welcome. The range is only 25 yrds max though.
Billy

Count me in. It would also be cool to do a 4-wheel run out to the desert and do some long range shooting, if anyone knows a legal place to do something like that. We could set up some targets at 10-15 yards for pistol, and 100-1000 for rifle. Make a weekend of it. Maybe even bring our sons (those old enough), and introduce them to the fundamentals of safe firearms handling and self defense.

JeepFreak21 said:
Yeah, handguns, riffles, shotguns... all welcome. The range is only 25 yrds max though.
Billy

Like Billy said they will let you shoot most all guns, but some get bent about the amo and how you shoot.

At the gunroom I believe only rimfire, pistol caliber rifles and shotguns may be used, they are not setup for anything high power.

Shooting some clays would be fun as well. The place in placerville sounds good too, its nice to be able to shoot stuff rather than paper sometimes :)

Gary E said:
At the gunroom I believe only rimfire, pistol caliber rifles and shotguns may be used, they are not setup for anything high power.

Shooting some clays would be fun as well. The place in placerville sounds good too, its nice to be able to shoot stuff rather than paper sometimes :)

You might be right... I found some 223 shells last time I was there, but they might have belonged to employees or something.
Billy

Gary E said:
I believe only rimfire, pistol caliber rifles and shotguns may be used
I guess I should call them then. I want to shoot my old Marlin 25-20. It's centerfire but 60 grains at less than 1800 fps is less energy than most pistols. Maybe I can get an exception.

What about ammo I loaded myself, any issues?

Gary E said:
I will be going to Pollock Pines for some shooting soon, this weekend is Easter but perhaps the next weekend. Everyone is welcome. Shooting with new people is always fun, I like seeing and shooting new guns.

seymouj - I want to shoot my old Marlin 25-20.

Wow! I didn't think anyone had ever even heard of this caliber let alone still owned one. My Dad has a Winchester 25-20 that looks like a model 86 (but the 86's didn't come in 25-20) and has a patend stamp on the barrel of August 13 1886. Still shoots pretty good if you can find the ammo.

Some skeet shootin would be cool. I haven't done that since high school and that was #@*#* years ago.

Rob D said:
Wow! I didn't think anyone had ever even heard of this caliber let alone still owned one. My Dad has a Winchester 25-20 that looks like a model 86 (but the 86's didn't come in 25-20) and has a patend stamp on the barrel of August 13 1886. Still shoots pretty good if you can find the ammo.

Some skeet shootin would be cool. I haven't done that since high school and that was #@*#* years ago.

I got mine from my grandfather. It shoots great though I had to replace the firing pin. Ammo can be found easily enough but is VERY expensive (over $40 for a box of 50). I just started reloading them (that's why I want to take it to the range, to test various loads). I've never really been into antiques or lever actions in general but this gun is just fun to shoot for some reason.

Back