• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side-view mirrors

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
'Been kicking around my XJ('00) for so long I've forgotten how nice it is. Starting to take it for granted. Recently got a TJ to beat in the rocks.

The XJ's green-house and mirrors have a really good design. With the mirrors adjusted properly, there is no blind spot on the passenger side(any car you can't see in the mirror, you can view directly when turning your head far enough to look in the passenger mirror) and only a very small sliver of the road you can't see on the driver's side.

The TJ is a wake-up call. Talk about blind spots! The mirrors are a joke, even with 2" convex blind-spot mirrors on them. To help out, the combination of door, door/top seal frame, roll bar, and side curtain fabric cover the area you need to look to clear the blind spot. 'Almost impossible to safely change lanes without being a contortionist.

I don't know why all the states have a cow when you pull the doors off a TJ. Hell, getting that mess out of the way would make it safer to drive, even with the lack of mirrors.

That's with the soft top on. Removing the top makes surprisingly little difference. There's a big plastic door surround that blocks almost the entire space between the door window frame and the roll bar even when the fabric is removed.

The good news is, when there's heavy traffic where I drive the TJ, I go look for another trail.

hell with the top off you can at least hear cars in your blind spot.
I noticed that. "Wtf is that noise?" looks around,.. oh, there's a car back there,..
I miss my TJ,.. ..,The top comes off.
I miss my CJ 'cause the top came off,.. That's how I ended up with a TJ.

Back