• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

side trim...removal?

I tried to peel mine off just a little and it looks glued on, i didnt want to take it all the way off unless there are holes where the trim would clip on to the body.

acetone, maybe rubbing alcohol might be a little better; less risk of scrubbing paint off.

Last edited:
I heard you can use rubbing alcohol to dissolve the glue and not hurt the paint, but it will need to be waxed right away, because you will remove the wax also....but just to be sure I would look in the yellow pages, and find a store that specializes in selling autobody repair products and give them a call....
I have used rubbing alcohol to prep a surface before doing some touch up spray painting and it worked well for me...

yes. even if you happen to remove a little paint, if your putting it back on, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If your not, then go gently with the rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball...and your good. I replaced a crunched up header and left fender, and just left it. (adds character, plus I'm cheap/broke). So if you see a pearl green cherokee rolling around Newington that needs a paint job, give a wave.

Last edited:
If the piece leaves the double sided tape behind, it can be very time consuming and difficult to get off. The above suggestions will work, but will take some time. They make a tool that goes into the end of a drill, that kind of resembles a large oversized eraser, same type of material. You put that in your drill and just hit the tape and it will peel/whisk it away, with very little clean up to do. What little is left will come right off with "Goof Off" or acetone. You can pick one of those tools up at any automotive store that caters to body shops, or just call a body shop up and ask where they get theirs...

WD40 is fish oil, and should be used accordingly - on fishing reels.

The eraser wheel works on the two sided tape well, and will even remove the argent trim tape on the rockers. 3M tape is available at the parts house as the replacement, it works well if you like having all that old school rubber cladding back on. I'm going to put it on the top of the rear bumper where it belongs.

There is a Wheel that attaches to a cordless drill that rubs silicone, glue, etc off of paint with out damaging it. It is rubber itself well kind of like and eraser wheel. Works great does not damage the paint. If you would like a pic or what not i can try and post one up here later. You can get these wheels lowes, home depot, prolly some auto parts stores havnt looked there for them. cuase i already had one

this sounds pretty good. i might go pick up one of those wheels and some goof-off or something, and take it all off. i was considering painting the crap, but i've seen a few jeeps that had it removed- looks pretty awesome.:cool:

has any one had a bad experience with their paint being a shade or two different b/c of fading? I want to take my ugly trim off but i'm afraid that my xj's white isn't as white as it used to be.

Especially in colder weather, using a hair dryer to warm and soften up any glue would make it easier to remove.

i just did it i pulled m off and used a heat gun and a plastic puddy knife worked good to get the little bit left on i used throttle body cleaner sprayed it on a rag in it came right off and you cant tell it was ever there btw it will remove a unnoticable amount of paint my xj is red and my rag was white when i was done my rag was light pink took 2 hours start to stop

Back