• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side mounted cup holder

ILLXJ

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
FYI. The part # for the side mounted cup holder is 55115020. This is for 96 & older XJ's. On the dealers parts listing this looks like the one that goes over the E-brake but it's not. HTH. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
FYI. The part # for the side mounted cup holder is 55115020. This is for 96 & older XJ's. On the dealers parts listing this looks like the one that goes over the E-brake but it's not. HTH. JIM.

If it's that flimsy orig. one I can't imagine who'd want it. It won't hold a heavy cup and the passenger is always bumping it w/a knee.

I bought one of the console mounted double cupholders (w/cutout for the E-brake) on eBay for about $20 and it's great. It's sturdy and handsome, exactly the grey of the console, screws into existing holes, doesn't interfere with using the E-brake; and though I've seen a complaint that the console lid won't latch over it, mine does.

BigDadys94xj said:
Why did you pay $20 for one off e bay I just bought a brand new one from quadratec for $15 same style.

There was shipping added. I'm in the boonies and it's cheaper to pay a bit more than drive 85 miles to Portland.

Good cupholder anyway. Bargain at $20.

BigDadys94xj said:
Why did you pay $20 for one off e bay I just bought a brand new one from quadratec for $15 same style.

I just looked to see where the nearest Quadratec store is, and it seems to be catalog only. Right?

If you ordered yours via catalog you paid $14.95 plus $6.99 shipping. So there. :cool:

BigDadys94xj said:
I got one for $12 at the Jeep dealership. I went there to buy the side cupholder and the parts guy talked me into the e-brake style one. Cheaper too.
Don't be afriad to price these from your local dealership.

JEEPZZ said:
I got one for $12 at the Jeep dealership. I went there to buy the side cupholder and the parts guy talked me into the e-brake style one. Cheaper too.
Don't be afriad to price these from your local dealership.
I think my dealer gets around $12 for the e-brake cupholder, too. But it isn't a Jeep part, it's aftermarket, so not all dealers will carry it.

If you use the e-brake one just make sure your brake handle is properly adjusted or you will snap the cup holder off after a few good yanks.

Does anyone have a pic of the side-mount one? How flimsy are we talking?

Yucca-Man said:
If you use the e-brake one just make sure your brake handle is properly adjusted or you will snap the cup holder off after a few good yanks.

We're talking two SMALL plastic tabs that engage the two SMALL slots in the right side of the console. The cup holder hangs off to the side of the console on the passenger side of the shifter, so if the front seat passenger moves injudicously, his/her knee will whack the cup holder. At the least this usually results in a wet knee, but it doesn't take a lot of whacks to snap off the two little tabs.

Yucca-Man said:

LCUPHOLD.JPG

That explains why it shows up in the dealer picture-book like the over-the-brake type, they look pretty close to me as well. I think I'll go pick up a $1 cupholder and just bolt that to the side...

I've got a side one in my 90. I dont have the slots cut out so the tabs just glide in the "track" in the console. The thing is such a hassle though that every time I have a passenger I pull it out. Nice for me though because it has a little bigger diameter holes than the one that goes over the E-Brake. (Have that one too) I would just recommend pulling it out everytime you have a passenger though because you dont want to end up with A&W root beer float all over your interior like I did. MMMM sticky.

Well I like the side mounted one much better. I do have one of each in my XJ because I have 3 kids. To keep the side mounted one from falling off I put a dry wall screw in the top into the console. When I have something in the one over the e-brake I always knock it over with my elbow. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
Well I like the side mounted one much better.....When I have something in the one over the e-brake I always knock it over with my elbow. JIM.

Neither is ideal, for sure. I have to watch my elbow too, but that's easier than watching the passenger's knee.

I always use the hole farthest from me when there's no passenger. It's just right.

ILLXJ said:
Well I like the side mounted one much better. I do have one of each in my XJ because I have 3 kids. To keep the side mounted one from falling off I put a dry wall screw in the top into the console. When I have something in the one over the e-brake I always knock it over with my elbow. JIM.

That's the way mine is set up. The previous owner screwed it into the console. I like it much better than the one over the parking brake.

I just saw these in the March '03 'Jp' rag...might have to look into them a little more and do some tailoring on the tunnel:
820-000100H.jpg

Well....I WAS going to look into it until I saw the price on www.rbsauto.com - $69. I think my passengers can just hold their drinks in their hand for that price.

Back