• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sick Dog Racing Jeepspeed Build

Started on my rear suspension. I bought some Ruff Stuff U-bolt plate and welded the lower rear shock mounts on them.
DSC00894.jpg

I'm using Rubicon 9/16 U-bolts over the FT 1/2 u-bolts.
IMG_1022.jpg

Shocks will be FOAs 2 1/2" 10 stroke front and 14" rear. 2 1/2" diameter with 4" strokes FOA bumps.
001.jpg

I hade to build my own bump cans. The FOA cans where to short to fit all the way through the floor.
IMG_1086.jpg

Cutting the bump hole into the body. Cleaning the frame for plating.
IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

Rear bump/frame plating
IMG_1083.jpg

Another :thumbup: on the 8.8. What valving are you running on the FOA's?

Thanks

Front
Compression Valve - Medium
Rebound Valve - Light

Rear
Compression Valve - Light/Medium
Rebound Valve - Medium

This was what FOA suggested for my application. It should be a good starting point. Im sure I'll have to play with them to get them 100% dialed in.

Bump cans installed and frame plating.
IMG_1099.jpg

Bump stop in cab.
IMG_1294.jpg

Bump stop out side cab
IMG_1298.jpg

I have heard horror stories about the snap rings on bump stops failing and the bumps flying out and bouncing around the cab on a big hit. So i made some positive stops in the cab.
IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

Both stops and rear axle.
IMG_1303.jpg

Thanks

Front
Compression Valve - Medium
Rebound Valve - Light

Rear
Compression Valve - Light/Medium
Rebound Valve - Medium

This was what FOA suggested for my application. It should be a good starting point. Im sure I'll have to play with them to get them 100% dialed in.

wierd, they mentioned firm compression and light rebound for me. this was a year ago though and all i mentioned was pre-runner xj. No mention of coil spring rates. I have the 6" skyjackers with a 235lb rate. What rate are your springs? Did you give them the rates prior to them recomending medium/light? I have the 18" rear units from foa at light med comp and light rebound and they feel pretty good with the 10leaf race pack from national. Hopefully yours don't leak like mine did. Where are you mounting the gas tank?

wierd, they mentioned firm compression and light rebound for me. this was a year ago though and all i mentioned was pre-runner xj. No mention of coil spring rates. I have the 6" skyjackers with a 235lb rate. What rate are your springs? Did you give them the rates prior to them recomending medium/light? I have the 18" rear units from foa at light med comp and light rebound and they feel pretty good with the 10leaf race pack from national. Hopefully yours don't leak like mine did. Where are you mounting the gas tank?
Were yours 2.0's or 2.5's?

At the time I bought them I wasn't sure I was going to race yet. But told them I was building a pre-runner and this was the valving they recommended

I didn't give them spring rates but there about the same as yours.

As far as leaking they haven't yet but I haven't tested them yet. I know they (FOA) have had some leakage problems in the past but I been told they have resolved the issues.

Fuel cell will be mounted inside about the middle of where the back seat would be.

Started plating the front end.
Front Passenger side.
IMG_1106.jpg

Front Driver side.
IMG_1081.jpg

Steering box mount
IMG_1105.jpg

I tied the out side plating at the steering box to the inside plating by welding 1" .120" tubing through the frame rails.

IMG_1110.jpg

Passenger side.
IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

Driver side.
IMG_1082a.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

Working on the steering and track bar. I'm using 3/4" heims with 5/8" ID high misalignment bushings.
IMG_1662.jpg

My tie rod, drag link and track bar are made out of 1 1/4 DOM .281 wall tubing. The ID was 11/16", just right for 3/4" -16 Tap.
IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

I'm using 5/8" bolts for the all the steering. I drilled out both the spindles and the pitman arm for a straight 5/8" bore.
IMG_1192.jpg

I tried to use the FT track bar, but it just wouldn't work with the crossover steering. I cut the bushing end off the FT bar and made my own.
IMG_1119-1.jpg

IMG_1205-3.jpg

Steering and track bar.
IMG_1212.jpg

Yet again.....NICE WORK!!!

That track bar will be a thousand times better than the full traction ones I've seen used.....uh.....fail.

Yet again.....NICE WORK!!!

That track bar will be a thousand times better than the full traction ones I've seen used.....uh.....fail.

X2 ..... Full Traction trac bar at race speed snap........ many many times!

Driver side spindle steering gussets.
IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Passanger side spindle steering gussets.
IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Those are awsome,good job.Ha, I was just thinking about double shear at the knuckles today.What year is your beam/knuckles?

I'm not sure what year the beam is but the Knunkles are off 87 4WD axle.

nice work! Any special technique welding on the outer knuckles? Never actually tried it..hmm, thanks for the idears:) Great looking job so far!

nice work! Any special technique welding on the outer knuckles? Never actually tried it..hmm, thanks for the idears:) Great looking job so far!

Just pre-heated them in the kitchen oven at about 200 deg for 30 minutes. :shhh: Just dont tell my wife..............

Back