• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shudder and lurching on acceleration (driveline related)

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Ahoi all. Totally not a Jeep question, but really, even my Jeep questions aren't "Jeep" questions as my XJ has almost nothing Jeep left on it.

Buddies SAS'd K1500. 7.5ish inch lift. 79 d44 front, d60 rear. Both lunchboxed, 4.10 gears, 37x12.5" tires, embarrassing 4.3L v6.

The SAS was my first attempt at any serious fabrication. Built everything myself and was surprised as hell when anything worked at all, and surprised further 2 years later when it's all still together despite my roomie wheeling like a total dink (ie: steering at full lock, smashing into a 2' tall log, repeatedly for about 10 minutes, etc.).

At any rate, I've no idea if this problem has anything to do with my suspension setup. We built a mild drop hangar for the front and kept the leafs pretty level (rear shackle). In the rear, we re-used the stock front leaf mounts, did a shackle flip, and stuck on some 3.5" lift leafs (same ones I use on my XJ, 63").
I don't know if this problem started with the lift or not.

On acceleration, right off the line, the truck shakes and jacks like a crazy person. I've laid right under the truck while roomie starts forward, and I really don't think that axle wrap is the cause, but it feels like SEVERE wrap. It'll surge forward, then it's like the whole driveline goes slack for a 20th of a second, then surges again. Not engine related. Could be a really bizarre clutch slip, but I can't think of the mechanics involved.
I'm not talking about trying to drag race. If you want to drive this thing on the street, you have to feather into the throttle while doing a buddist chant or something equally calming, or the whole truck wants to jump in the air until you're over about 5-8km/h. Feels like it may want to do it again when shifting to 2nd, but feels like there's just not enough torque to do it at that point. The effect makes street almost unbearable. Roomie's got it down to a science and with some super fancy footwork, he can usually start out without making it seem like he's TRYING to be a heat score. I've driven a lot of funky farm rides and I can barely control it.
Thing is, it's not noticeable at all on the trail or even gravel. It's only when he's got perfect traction.

Gear lash isn't obviously excessive, u-joints are good, shafts good, can't find a problem in the axle. When you watch it start out, the drive shaft almost comes to a complete stop, then spins real fast to catch up to the wheels, then stops again, and on and on.

My thoughts are:
1. Clutch slipping.
2. Something horribly wrong in his manual transmission (but again, I can't think of what could cause this).
3. Axle wrap is far worse than I'm seeing.
4. Frame is flexing real bad due to a big crack (that I've looked for and have never found).

First thoughts? Yell out anything. I'm out of ideas without tearing the whole driveline apart.

It's a generic issue I think. Either way, if this was my Jeep, I'd be posting about a chevy motor/clutch/transmission/t-case anyhow :p.

Clutch chatter really does seem like the ticket, I've just never experienced it so severe. This feels like the truck is going to leap off the road and blow itself apart. :) Thing is, IIRC, he replaced the clutch/flywheel not too long ago because of exactly this issue. His TOB was also toast, so not a total loss.

Any chance the flywheel could be sitting somewhat ****-eyed and causing the same symptom?

Back