• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I keep my drums or convert to disc brakes?

Whatever makes you feel better about it... But I would bet my $75 dollar ZJ junk yard disk set up will do everything the same as $600 teraflex... but its your money :laugh3:

I’m sure your ZJ disc conversion will function just the same. This isn’t a debate on whether or not the TeraFlex kit will perform better than your junkyard salvaged ZJ parts. This is a situation where I have more money than time. As a matter of fact, I will pay a shop to do the install.

I copied this from their website:

"Fits all Jeep® factory rear axles from 1991 through 2006, including the Dana 35 c-clip, Dana 44 and Chrysler 8.25. The TeraFlex disc brake kit is manufactured within exact tolerances to provide the crucial stopping power that larger tires, and extreme off road situations demand. The TeraFlex disc brake kit is ideal for anyone wanting to upgrade a quality disc brake package to their axles. This disc brake kit is intended for use as a bolt-on upgrade to replace factory Jeep® drum brakes. A kit is also available for axles using the new ‘big Ford’ housing ends, such as TeraFlex high performance axles like the Tera44 Adventure axles, or Tera CRD 50R & 60Rs. The internal drum parking brake provides outstanding holding power when compared to other disc brake conversions. Note: New emergency brake cables are available separately. Factory hard brake lines must be replaced with shorter lines. The Ford kit requires a separate flex brake line kit (Part #DBHK ) to connect to the systems hard line. These lines are NOT included in the disc brake kit. Some factory Jeep® 15” Wheels may rub on the caliper. Do NOT operate the vehicle until you confirm adequate caliper/wheel clearance."

dieselenthusiast I'm sure your gona love the disk brake setup. With my tera kit I pulled the prop valve out and removed the oring on it and reinstalled, this changed everything completely. I will one day put the zj prop valve in it though and see which setup stops better. I also have yet to ever install new ebrake cables as I didn't know about the cable hook clamp setup some use, I might just get some zj/explorer cables and put them in.

Thanks for the information.

These days there are so many sources for parts when installing disc brakes on the Cherokee, but in 2000 you had to get creative sourcing parts since there was very little information available.
I had caliper mounting brackets fabricated and purchased loaded GM calipers with the emergency brake option and redrilled Lincoln Mark V rotors to install on the '98 XJ w/C8.25. The Jeeps emergency brake cable just slides into notch on the caliper emergency brake actuating arm (needed to cut the spring off the cable end). Later swapped in the drivers side cable from a '98 TJ for more length after adding more lift. Removing the O ring from the proportioning valve regulating shaft provided more pressure to the rear calipers creating a better feel to the pedal.
The addition of the rear discs allowed me to actually stop on the highway instead of sliding to a stop.
Driving the Jeep on the trail with drum brakes in 4L wasn't fun. Even when laying into the brake pedal the Jeep would be pushed thru obstacles with almost no control. Now with Black Magic pads, Centrics rotors and the rear discs I can just rest my foot on the pedal and stop the Jeep on a steep hill.
If the sources were available I probably would have purchased the parts used from a C8.25 4x4 Liberty.

Too bad you are so far away I'd be happy to install the tera flex setup for you. If it is anything like the exploder brakes it's flippin easy.

We're only 950 miles apart? What's the problem? :thumbup:

The front pads, calipers and rotors came in.

15897584_large.jpg

15897588_large.jpg

15897590_large.jpg

15897593_large.jpg

15897602_large.jpg

15897603_large.jpg

15897605_large.jpg

I wanted to Comment on The price of the rear conversion kit . I don't think its that bad .

When i was thinking of doing this i liked the idea of the libby brakes better than the G.C. since they fit already
(not that widening a hole would be that hard) not sure why but i like that they were a newer year than the G.C. ones too .

So I looked all over and found a few libby's being parted that had what i needed but no one was willing to let me open the diff to get the axles out and remove the backing plates . they were okay with selling me the other parts (should've bought them on the spot).

I could've bought the whole axle out of one of them but they wanted too much $ (or so i thought)

So i found some from a used parts store online So i ordered the backing plates (like $102)

And of course after they come no libby's anywhere near me on c.l. or any of the yards. after keeping an eye out for a few months i still couldn't find any to get the parts from and after looking at the used parts online vs the new i got new ones (not much more $)

SO i Started Buying new parts
I have new from 2005 libby Calipers, Rotors, Pads, E-Cables
And New From a Zj Soft brake lines that come from Caliper.
I also Got New Seals and Bearing for the 8.25 while i was in there.

I Love that i know what parts to ask for if i walk in the part store
(not sure whats in the kits) .

Finally to the point I ended up spending almost $500 on my setup and i suppose that may seem wasteful to someone who scored their J-yard setup for like $80 or so but i feel like it was worth it .

here in Stl. i cant seem to find any Libby's in the yards or C.L. and the G.C.'s i See in the yards are picked pretty clean as well.

A few things about the Libby swap .

The Studs that mount the backing plate to the axle were the correct length ( i beleive you have to use longer ones for the G.C, conversion)

The ZJ soft line bolts right to the Libby Caliper and The stock Cherokee hard line.

I waited for pick n pull to have a sale and scored an 8.8 from a 2000 explorer. Cost $88 for an 8.8 with discs and a limited slip with 4:10 gears. Easy upgrade and all the good stuff. Still haven't had time to get it out in though.

I waited for pick n pull to have a sale and scored an 8.8 from a 2000 explorer. Cost $88 for an 8.8 with discs and a limited slip with 4:10 gears. Easy upgrade and all the good stuff. Still haven't had time to get it out in though.

That's a huge score, especially with 4:10's!

Back