• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I have shot them?

did you use flaming arrows like on the Dukes of Hazzard? I would have, or maybe the arrows that have dynomite straped to them:explosion ...but wait, that would have made more noise then your .22 so scratch that one....

XJ Dreamin' said:
Damn cats won't leave your dogs alone? Are you talking cats, or cougars?

Dog had a possum cornered last spring. A Louisville Slugger did the trick.

On the general topic of nuisance animals: When your wife wakes you up at 01:00 complaining she can't sleep 'cause of the tree frog outside the window, get the flashlight, go out in the backyard in your underwear and hunt the sucker down, sling it down on the patio so it makes a little 'pop' sound and let the dog eat it.

I think you should hope that Buddha isn't right about reincarnation :D

karstic said:
Do you know who owns the dogs?

File a report with the county animal agency/sheriff.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with dogs running loose attacking other animals.

X2. If you can find out who the owners are, i'd go to them for the "damages" their dog(s) caused.

How old are your kids? If they're real young, something like that can be hard on them...especially if they saw it.

RedHeep said:
I think you should hope that Buddha isn't right about reincarnation :D

If Buddha is right I'm much more likely to come back as a fly, minding my own business sittin' on the edge of someone's kitchen counter, having a good day thinking about finding me some piece of juicy old brown banana and some nice lady fly tail...

SMACK!!!

Dayamm. Not again.

ECKSJAY said:
Dead dogs tell no tales.

:piratefla

Oh, there's a tail joke in there somewhere...it'll come to me...

in oregon, if any animal comes after your livestock (that goes for rabbits too) you shoot the damn thing.the first thing i would have done is go in and grab the rifle. my dog doesnt go after other animals, and if she did, she would be shot for killing one

-matt-

its an xj thing said:
in oregon, if any animal comes after your livestock (that goes for rabbits too) you shoot the damn thing.the first thing i would have done is go in and grab the rifle. my dog doesnt go after other animals, and if she did, she would be shot for killing one

-matt-

Yeah. Back home we adopted a lost rabbit hound that had apperantly been shot by it's own master. There's always lost hound dogs running around back home. Usually we would chase them off, but this one showed up shot, leaking blood all over the snow in the back yard and my little brother begged mom to help it. So, the vet swabbed out the through-and-through and the dog recovered nicely. Come spring he took to chasing the neighbor's newborn angus calves. He wouldn't stop, so we had him put down. Ah, well. It is a dog's life, after all.

iluv83vettes said:
on a tangent...if three rabbits were eating all my moms flowers in our flower bed in our backyard and i live in a neighborhood with a golf course right behind my fence (not a wood fence you can see through it) and i had to get rid of them, how would you do it.

oh ya...my dad said i couldnt use the 22 because it would be too loud and we dont have a trap anymore becuase my dog used to take care of all the animals that would come in our yard (opossums, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels etc.) but he died about a year ago.

BTW I already took care of them with my bow and arrows

cb cap.

http://www.answers.com/topic/22-cb

not any louder than an air rifle.

get a bow with some rubber blunt tip arrows. worked on my neighbors pit bull for years. it keept trying to attack me and brother when we were little untill my dad shot it twice with the blunts(wasnt moving fast enough to get missed by the second one). Needless to say that dog, and my neighbor never bothered us again.

Ammonia in a Super soaker works well, as does pepper rounds for a paint ball gun. Dogs have really sensitive noses (most hunting varieties are nose dominate, there primary sense organ), a lesson they won't soon forget.
Hard to discourage a million years of evolution, dogs eat rabbits.
Part of my job is dealing with nuisance animals. I've never shot a dog that wasn't ill, running in a feral pack or vicious. Though I did shoot ones tail off, that insisted on running Deer. The owner kept insisting it wasn't his dog, which was hard to argue after the tail was gone.
Livestock rules (laws) are fairly harsh and rigid. Whomever the dogs belong to has very little chance of escaping restitution.
Poison is indiscriminate and a last resort. Trapping (live trap) often works. You can often borrow traps from the local animal control people.

I guess I'm no dog lover, and although I don't suppose I would have shot them right away, I'd try my best to hunt down the owners, inform them of the situation, and make it clear that you'll exercise your right to shoot them if they come back.

Consider, for example, what might happen if you're not there, and the dogs attack your kid's bunny cage, and the kid (assuming small kid who loves his/her bunnies) attempts to intervene. So what if "dogs kill rabbits?" Dogs that kill rabbits should be out in the country somewhere, killing their own damn rabbits.

As I said, I guess i'm not much of a dog lover, but I think people who choose not to have dogs should not have to defend themselves or their own animals against other people's dogs, nor should they have to step in other people's dogs**t in their own yards. Millions and zillions of people know how to handle their dogs and train them and keep them where they belong. Those who don't get little sympathy from me.

The owners are responsible, not the dogs. The dogs should not be allowed to run loose. Most dogs (even good dogs) are going to go after rabbits. They can't help it, it's what they do. Shooting in a neighborhood is never a good idea unless people's lives are at stake. To endanger your neighbors over a rabbit by discharging a firearm in your neighborhood is silly. My advise would be to build a stronger hutch for the rabbits and find out who owns the dogs. Hold the owner responsible for any damages his animals do to your property.

Dead, dead, dead. If they're in my yard, attacking my "family" they are done. Years back I had to investigate a case where a neighbor's dogs dug under a fence and tore the neighbor's 7 year-old son apart (he died). I don't ever want to see anything like that again. If the person on the collar cares about his dogs as much as I care about my kids (or rabbits), he'll keep them contained.

Ralph said:
The owners are responsible, not the dogs. The dogs should not be allowed to run loose. Most dogs (even good dogs) are going to go after rabbits. They can't help it, it's what they do. Shooting in a neighborhood is never a good idea unless people's lives are at stake. To endanger your neighbors over a rabbit by discharging a firearm in your neighborhood is silly. My advise would be to build a stronger hutch for the rabbits and find out who owns the dogs. Hold the owner responsible for any damages his animals do to your property.

Hold the owner responsible, but you should not have to build a stronger rabbit hutch to prevent someone else's dogs from ripping it open and killing your rabbits.

There is a big difference between a dog chasing a rabbit, as indeed you can expect most any dog to do, and two dogs coming into your yard and taking out a rabbit hutch.

There's an old common law principle that every dog gets one bite. These guys have had theirs. They're not "good dogs" any more.

Back