• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short intro and question

Well, it looks like we happen to know someone with a lifted Jeep with high clearance. What would be the best strategy? Pack down the snow by driving on it with the Jeep? Maybe then build a ramp, so the subie can get on the packed down snow?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Says the guy who takes a stock Subaru up there and gets it buried under 6 feet of snow....

Then wants someone in a "4wd vehicle"to come retrieve it.....:rolleyes:

Haha, I didn't mean this in a bad way. I just meant that I heard people in 4wd vehicles like to go out on that road to have some fun :) I have nothing against the hobby at all!

Haha, I didn't mean this in a bad way. I just meant that I heard people in 4wd vehicles like to go out on that road to have some fun :) I have nothing against the hobby at all!

My apologies, I misunderstood your post......

Though I've never been to the Portal, we camp at Tuttle creek from time to time and I have hiked to the Ashram.....Good luck.

I belong to a somewhat local Jeep club some of whom are into snow runs. I can pass along the request, but first need you'll to answer a couple questions.

1. Have you checked with the local Sheriffs Dept? Is the road currently open to recreational use? What's their opinion on difficulty of recovery?
2. How far up the road can normal cars drive before being turned around by snow?
3. How far beyond that point is the stuck car?

If you don't know the answers, you're going to have to find out. It's too far to drive up there only to find it's not legal, or not practical to continue.

-- Bill
Ridgecrest Gear Grinders

Thanks for the response Bill! Well, it sounds like we actually have a friend who wants to give it a go now; we just need to have a solid plan on how to handle it. As far as the questions go:
1. I have not checked with them but technically the road is closed about a mile down from where our car is. It is really only a "soft" close though; it's just a sign and there are people that have cabins up there, so they know all too well many people go up there.
2. Not sure about regular cars but right now, a normal AWD SUV can get to the road closed sign (i.e. a mile from the subie). I'm guessing a normal car can only get within a mile orso of the road closed sign (so, 2mi from the car).
3. see 2 :)

I belong to a somewhat local Jeep club some of whom are into snow runs. I can pass along the request, but first need you'll to answer a couple questions.

1. Have you checked with the local Sheriffs Dept? Is the road currently open to recreational use? What's their opinion on difficulty of recovery?
2. How far up the road can normal cars drive before being turned around by snow?
3. How far beyond that point is the stuck car?

If you don't know the answers, you're going to have to find out. It's too far to drive up there only to find it's not legal, or not practical to continue.

-- Bill
Ridgecrest Gear Grinders

Okay, good luck with it. Be aware, one mile of deep uphill snow can be a major obstacle even for lifted 4x4's. If you can get it out, great. If you still need help, reference your locations to the following:

Up the road from Lone Pine you encounter Hogback Rd. About 1000 ft past that the road turns 90 degrees right (north) and about 3/4 mile further is the hard left switchback. The switchback is just over 7000 ft, so according to your posts, I'm guessing the car is near the switchback. I gather the deep snow starts about at Hogback and the road is closed a little down from there. But you'd need to verify that, and talk to the Sheriff about bypassing the closure. We work emergencies for Kern County Sheriff Dept and aren't about to get in a pissing contest with Inyo.

You are correct! It's before the first hard left switchback. You can currently get to the 90 degree right turn in a regular SUV. It's more or less a straight shot from there (roughly a mile).
Yeah, I don't want to bug any officials with it at this point. We got it there and should just get it out ourselves as well. Hard to believe there was no snow whatsoever there the day before!

Okay, good luck with it. Be aware, one mile of deep uphill snow can be a major obstacle even for lifted 4x4's. If you can get it out, great. If you still need help, reference your locations to the following:

Up the road from Lone Pine you encounter Hogback Rd. About 1000 ft past that the road turns 90 degrees right (north) and about 3/4 mile further is the hard left switchback. The switchback is just over 7000 ft, so according to your posts, I'm guessing the car is near the switchback. I gather the deep snow starts about at Hogback and the road is closed a little down from there. But you'd need to verify that, and talk to the Sheriff about bypassing the closure. We work emergencies for Kern County Sheriff Dept and aren't about to get in a pissing contest with Inyo.

Please take plenty of pics of the recovery and share them with us! That would be cool to see! Good luck! :D

Way to go with asking questions and searching out the best option. And I applaud you for your tact and courtious(sp) replies to questions and doubters (who are only looking out for you and any NAXJA members who might have parcicipated :) )

Definitely try to get pics, and definitely be careful up there, sir.

Good luck!
-Brian in sunny San Diego :D

Thanks Brian! Seems like a great group of people on here. I truly appreciate the great response!

Way to go with asking questions and searching out the best option. And I applaud you for your tact and courtious(sp) replies to questions and doubters (who are only looking out for you and any NAXJA members who might have parcicipated :) )

Definitely try to get pics, and definitely be careful up there, sir.

Good luck!
-Brian in sunny San Diego :D

Now when you get recovered, sell the subi and get a XJ and join the site! :D

LOL The subie is actually my friend's car but who knows :D. I'm actually thinking about getting a used diesel VW Touareg once our SUV is ready to retire. Not anywhere near the equipment you guys use but 11.4 inches of ground clearance on a road vehicle isn't bad.

So let me get this straight. You own a Mercedes and want to buy a VW. Your friend owns a Subaru. And you come onto a Jeep Cherokee forum looking for help?

Don't get me wrong. I've got no problem with it. Hell, I even offered my assistance. But you gotta admit that it IS a curious situation. :thumbup:

So let me get this straight. You own a Mercedes and want to buy a VW. Your friend owns a Subaru. And you come onto a Jeep Cherokee forum looking for help?

Don't get me wrong. I've got no problem with it. Hell, I even offered my assistance. But you gotta admit that it IS a curious situation. :thumbup:

LMAO!! Well, I doubt anyone's going to argue that Jeep's are awesome offroad vehicles with a lot of aftermarket parts and great capabilities. The others are more onroad vehicles with some offroad performance.

Luciano,

I am talking to someone from the Eastern Sierra 4wd club. Sounds like this might be getting somewhere. Might be able to co-ordinate a run with two to three vehicles, once the Sheriff is happy.We have to trust the local guy's abilities on this.But it is raining / snowing right now. Conditions are getting worse.
What do you have lined up, I will call him back with a status report.
Gentlemen, I refered him to our website, as weather permitting, this is doable, but not from someone who 'is stuck in Lodi'

Last edited:
if you can get the car dug out and a strap to it safely id think you could just get it going and follow the jeep out using the strap when neccesary but those subs tend to be pretty good in the snow if they arnt burried

Thanks Brian! Seems like a great group of people on here. I truly appreciate the great response!

Luciano,

I am talking to someone from the Eastern Sierra 4wd club. Sounds like this might be getting somewhere. Might be able to co-ordinate a run with two to three vehicles, once the Sheriff is happy.We have to trust the local guy's abilities on this.But it is raining / snowing right now. Conditions are getting worse.
What do you have lined up, I will call him back with a status report.
Gentlemen, I refered him to our website, as weather permitting, this is doable, but not from someone who 'is stuck in Lodi'

Keep us posted on this please. Don't recover it and then forget about these threads you started. :cheers:

Back