• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shop for a full build - any recommendations?

ScampXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a brand new member here and hoping you guys could help point me in the right direction. Because of my current work situation (and my ability!) I can't build the XJ I want myself so I need to find someone to do the build for me, preferably in the North East. I've looked through the archives and I couldn't find much for shop recommendations for a build. My preference is to find a place that specialize in Jeeps or at least have a lot of experience with XJ's. I'd love to give my business to a NAXJA member - I want this done right from the beginning.

I've owned two XJ's in the past that both rusted to dust on me so I'm starting this project with the cleanest rust free one I can find, which means shipping one up from the south most likely (I live in New England). I've been getting inspections done and will likely make a purchase in the next month or two. I'd like to find a shop first so I can ship it directly there.

The Plan:
I'm leaving next fall on a two year trip around North America. I will be towing a small fiberglass camper (1200ish lbs) to use as base camp, but a lot of the more off the beaten path exploring will be without the camper. I guess the lingo of the times would be an expedition vehicle - I won't be doing any kind of rock crawling.

I don't know all the details of what I want yet partly because my lack of knowledge or experience so a shop that can work with me to develop a final plan that makes sense would be a big plus.

What I think I want:
3" lift on 31's - seems best based on the terrain and miles
Suspention - need help on what to upgrade and what to stay stock
Back bumper w/ swing out tire carrier
Front bumper w/ winch - not 100% I need this, but considering I won't be with other rigs seems like good insurance
All routine maintenance - replace seals, hoses, common failure points - basically upgrade/replace as many things as possible that are likely to go in the next two years
Rust prevention - this is really important to me and I want to do everything possible to prevent losing this one to rust
Gearing - I know very little about this, but do I need to change because of 31's and pulling a trailer?
Upgrade cooling - driving up mountains with a trailer in hot weather

There's plenty more I'm considering, but this seems to be the basics of what I'm trying to get.

The good news is I'm not on a super tight deadline so that should open up most shops to fitting this project in. I have about 10k budgeted for this.

So what do you think? Any recommendations on who I should talk to? I appreciate any feedback you have.

I hear there is a full fab shop in upstate new york that is looking for business :scottm:

there is also Elias 4WD, they do some awesome work and are just over the border in townsend MA

Back