• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks

how bad does the dust get in your jeep grimm? thats the only problem i see with that set up. but im sure i could make a dust boot.

quite a bit but i keep my windows down so i cant say how much the holes in the floor effect it haha. around town i have 2 old towels rolled up and wrapped around the shocks, pushed down against those holes. i still havent figured out how i want to go about sealing it up. but, as my jeep sees mostly desert sand and im not worried about dust and dirt, i doubt i'll do anything about it.

you should get some wetsuit material, cut a slit in the middle, squeeze it onto the shock and stick it down over the hole

you should get some wetsuit material, cut a slit in the middle, squeeze it onto the shock and stick it down over the hole

i was thinking that, or an ATV innertube, but im pretty lazy i'll probably never do anything about it lol :D besides, it wont matter once the cage goes in and the hatch comes off.

hmm it looks like i might have to get some shocks before the move. so would i be looking on ebay? or is there some ninja flea market, that sells used racing parts?

i still havent figured out how i want to go about sealing it up. but, as my jeep sees mostly desert sand and im not worried about dust and dirt, i doubt i'll do anything about it.
Try going to a roofing supply outlet, or if you're lucky maybe HD/Lows, and look for rubber roofing pipe boots, or flashing boots.
The rubber boots are round, about a foot across, and have a stepped cone design. You trim the cone to the stem that closely fits your shock body, and slide it over.
the flashing boots are generally 12x12, 12x16, etc, aluminum sheet with a bulge in the center. the bulge has a hole with a rubber collar attached to it. You could trim and screw one of these down with no modification at all.

so i should get the 5100's rather than 5150's so that i can rebuild the shocks. i'll really start looking alot more seriously after i move to Georgia.

and i've been out doing some jumps in my XJ, i finally worked up the courage to hit something that would get all four tires off the ground. and im impressed, my jeep faired alot better than i thought. the landing was soo soft that my crappy radio didnt skip on the CD. lol

There not rebuildable but with the buy three get one free and they are the same spec as the 5150's and standard 7100's 255/70 valving you can replace them later as you blow out the 5100's.

I was also told by my sales guy not to use them a travel limiters at all.That they will fail the first time the tires leave the ground. he showed me a blown out 5100 that was on a tj that did a wheel stand and slammed back down on them. They looked fine but was way mushy compared to one right out of the box. He told me that was also true for the 5150's

Dave

There not rebuildable but with the buy three get one free and they are the same spec as the 5150's and standard 7100's 255/70 valving you can replace them later as you blow out the 5100's.

I was also told by my sales guy not to use them a travel limiters at all.That they will fail the first time the tires leave the ground. he showed me a blown out 5100 that was on a tj that did a wheel stand and slammed back down on them. They looked fine but was way mushy compared to one right out of the box. He told me that was also true for the 5150's

Dave

only the 7100's should be used as limiting factors.
and not for high speed stuff

I think the bottom line is you do'nt want to use your shocks as limit straps or bump stops. I think alot of peaple allow about an extra 1/2" inch of travel at both ends of the cycle to be safe ,for this reason.

So are 7100s good to use or no? I seem to like them i remember seeing them on a few go fast jeeps on here. and they are a little cheaper than King or Fox (brand new)

i ended up going with the 5100 from bilstein, couldnt resist a deal buy 3 get the 4th free. and i get all the warranty stuff too. you just gotta love 4wheelparts

7100's work awesome, I ran them in my Jeep through the fast stuff. And by the way, shocks are not meant to be a limit strap, period.. no matter which one, no matter how you use them... they should not see that type of abuse... its not good!

Back