• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock ??

jeepdude25

NAXJA Forum User
So I have purchased about 3 sets of Shocks over the past 6 months. All of them have been very stiff and ride horrible. What brand does everyone else run?? I guess Im looking for an all around smooth shock on the road and offroad. I ahve a 6.5 LA lift on the Jeep now.

Here is what i have bought so far:
Bilstein 5100's-were too stiff and rode bad to me
Rough Country-rode hard, didnt allow and flex
Pro Comp-didnt flex well and stiff

Any input would be awesome!!

I think if you didn't like your Bilsteins (a) you need softer valved Bilsteins, they do come in different flavors, or (b) your springs are too stiff and it doesn't matter what shocks you run. I honestly have never heard of anyone who didn't love their Bilsteins if they were correctly valved. When I replaced my cheapo deutch techs with Bilsteins on the XJ, it was like night and day. The Bilsteins on the WJ (JK stiff valved models), it rides like a caddy and flexes at will.

If you're certain your springs aren't the problem you could spring for some Rancho 9000 adjustables and find a setting you like... :dunno:

My 5100 Bilsteins are far too soft on compression. However, I think that's mostly the fault of rear springs that are a tad worn.

I've had the RE Twin Tube series shocks on my '97 since I got it and they're the best shocks I've ever experienced. I absolutely love the on-road ride quality. Off road they may be a little soft for some folks preference, but I really can't complain. Gonna be putting them on the MJ when I do the 3" lift on it as well. RE is now selling through the TransAmerican owned outlets such as 4WheelParts and 4WD.com...... can't get them from RE on line now. Or you could get with FrankZ/SeriousOffroad and he can get them as well.

I've heard similar complaints about the 5100 Bilsteins being stiff and the 5150's being good or a bit too soft. However...... I couldn't tell you what the difference is between the two...... :dunno:

There are multiple models in the 5100 series (including 5100's, 5125's and 5150's). IIRC, the 5100's tend to be model specific, while the 5125's are in varying lengths with varying valving so that you can dial in what you want... FrankZ is also a Bilstein dealer, so he can likely answer questions on this stuff better than I...

FWIW, I just called Bilstein today to find out the valving on the shocks you are selling. He said the XJ 5-6" specific shocks are only 126/47. Compare that to their 5125's that a lot of XJ runs that are 255/70 and you will see yours are pretty soft.

If you are on your third set of shocks and it still rides too stiff, something else is going on.

I would ask what springs (both coils and leafs) and what long arm kit you are running? Do you have an aftermarket bumper or other items that have added to the weight? What does you rear shackle angle look like?

How did you get to 6" in the rear for lift? Just leaves? Leaves + longer shackle?

What is your caster angle at?

I think the whole front end is RC. I know the long arms are. I am pretty sure the coils are as well.

If all the shocks you've tried were too stiff, is it possible that your leaf spring bolts and/or your shackle bolts are over torqued? I know the first time I installed a set of leaf spring bolts I tightened the snot out of them, which kept them from flexing and gave me a horribly stiff ride.

Rear josh put together.
but id.check the shackles and such. imagine.there is some sort of improper install. front should be good.

If it feels like the rear, I would guess a couple of things:
1) Bad Shackle angle (is your shackle vertical?)
2) Shackle bolts too tight
3) If you are at 6" of lift in the rear with just leaves and not using an extended shackle, that could be some of it.

Post some pics of your set up as it might be easier to determine.

So I have purchased about 3 sets of Shocks over the past 6 months. All of them have been very stiff and ride horrible. What brand does everyone else run?? I guess Im looking for an all around smooth shock on the road and offroad. I ahve a 6.5 LA lift on the Jeep now.

With as much as you've spent you coulda gotten some Ranco 9000 adjustable. that's what I ran then put some 5100 went back to 9000's. You can spend the extra digits and get the on board in cab kit to adjust on the fly.

I have a set of 9000 front and rear I can let go well maybe just fronts because I'm raising my rear shock mounts and might be able to use my old set to keep them from bottoming out, Fronts are avail. I run a set of them on my Ford E350 Diesel 4x4 van too I think they're great.

Back