• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Placement ?

Cache96

NAXJA Forum User
What would be the difference in mounting the shock in front of the spring instead of behind it?

Like this.

BajaZJ3.jpg

154_0606_12_z1994_custom_jeep_grand.jpg

jeepfront-1.jpg

It looks like the placement is limited by the location of the brake booster.

It looks like the placement is limited by the location of the brake booster.
he means Coilover/Shock or Shock/Coilover as in which one is closer to the front of the car vs the rear if there is a reason for one set up vs another

thats probably just how it fit right. were very limited with space in a grand. especially mine and your v8's i wouldnt think it would matter which came first would it?

but it also looks to be a stronger mounting point on the axle for the coilover to be right over the axle instead of on the front or back, if you look close the bypass is mounted in front on a custom mount. it would make more sense to me to mount the coilover- over the axle for strenght reasons and for that the only place the bypass will fit is in front. you wouldnt mount your coilovers in your stock mounting location would you? every coilver set up ive seen on a solid axle is over the axle.

Last edited:
It would make no real difference(shock in front/shock in rear) if you just had a coil in the spring position, and were locating the shock. The front placement would give less leverage from the suspension on the shock, and that would change your valving. Rear placement might limit your shock length.

In the pictured setup, they have the coil-over-shock located centered over the axle housing, and the smooth body shock in front of it , it looks like for clearance/fitment purposes. If you wanted to run that setup with the smooth body behind the coil over, you would have to run a shorter shock to clear the brake cylinder, or move the coil up in front of the axle. Moving the coil forward would make you re-think the whole cage/support structure.

thats definately a bypass not a smoothie. and that jeep just made me super jealous.
Oops,..
I was trying to differentiate between the coil placement and the plain shock. didn't mean to offend. :D

Well the reason i was asking is because i am looking into running no brake booster and just a master cylinder to be able to fit a shock through the stock location. We were looking at options yesterday and running no booster seemed the way to go but it might be more trouble than its worth, I want to run the same setup as the jeep above but with the bypass in the "stock" location with a engine cage.

I was doing some research and it seems the only difference in running no booster is the pedal would be firmer, Anyone have experience with this? I was thinking i can run a dual master cylinder with a 1" bore and from research that should be fine for Disc brakes on 4 corners.

Jeep brakes are notorious for being under-powered, are you sure you want to run no booster? You'll need to get a master cylinder designed to work without a booster on a disc brake setup.

Yea, i should have my 12's this weekend and we will be making a upper mount sort of like T & J's and lowering the shock mount at the axle.

I will be keeping my IRO springs until i ride in yours... see if those deavers convince me..lol

Question, I just installed upper mounts and tabbed the lower mounts as low as possible. There was no way a 12" shock would cycle correctly. It was on a XJ with a 5.5" lift. How are you going to make this work?

I have 5.5 right now and have about 25 1/2 for the shock.. the 12's measure 20 so i should have enough up travel if not ill see what i can do.

Your mounts give what? 1 1/2 more than the when you mount them to the control arm.

I have no idea how much more. My LCA brackets are raised up behind the axle tube, so I'd imagine the shocks mounts are no lower than the ones that are welded to the sides of the stock type LCA brackets.

I welded in the T&J uppers, threw on some tabs on the long arm mounts which lowered the shock mount 2" from stock and with 5.5 coils and 12" foxes we only had 3" of up-travel.

Back