• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shipping my xj to puerto rico

vozo112

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone i am going to be moving to puerto rico in october and i am shipping my cherokee down there as well. i will be there for about a year and then i am going to sell it and move back to ny. i am trying to figure out what preventative maintainance/upgrades i should do to it before i go so i will only have to do minor things while im down there. i probably will put about 30k miles on it before i leave there too so any ideas will be apprecated.
a little about the truck. its a 1997 XJ w/ 130k miles, 4.0l, 5speed manual, 4x4. i put a 3" RE lift about a year and a half ago w/ 31x10.5 maxxis bighorns. its got custom front and rear bumpers w/ front lights. it runs great. i do tune ups pretty regularly. everything seems pretty ok about it. the one problem i ever run into is it gets really hot going up hills and in traffic. and in PR its alot hotter then NY. so i just ordered a 3 core radiator from Dirk Sanders. oh and i just fixed the a/c so it works for the 1st time in years but now when you first turn on the a/c the compressor squeels like crazy for about a minute. any suggestions?
one thing that concerns me is there is alot of break ins and thefts to cars. so i wanna install some sort of hidden kill switch in the jeep that i can hit when i leave the car. and i also wanna hide the stereo somewhere in the car since its pretty nice. i dont need it to be accesible. i just play my ipod thru it. any ideas on that stuff would be great!

should i do anything else regarding cooling?
do you think i should preventively change the clutch because its original?
i am going to change all the fluids before i leave.

well i know thats alot but any help or ideas would be awesome! thanks

I dont know a lot about cooling. maybe replace the Tstat with a different one. Also you might want to flush your radiator if it hasnt been done. As far as the kill switch goes you could add on in. Just tap it into your ignition wire and hide the switch somewhere like in the glove compartment. The radio could be relocated to the console if you want and then a dummy plate installed where the original stereo was or you can just get a radio with a detachable faceplate.

I lived in PR for 2.5 years a while back. PR is very hard on vehicles. They do have everything you will need. Auto parts stores everywhere. It just cost more. For the cooling issue I would talk to some guys in the South East. It doesn't get any hotter in PR than it does in S.E. USA.

Matt

Back