• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shimmy at 55 MPH

I did the same thing moved tires around wobble still there REBALANCED TIRES like 90 pioneer gone

98% of the time if there is a speed induced shimmy(and for some reason almost all xj's get it at around 55mph) its unbalanced rims or a tire that the belt has slipped. This is fact. unbalanced rims will shimmy at a certain speed, and yeah its pretty rough, but untill you have felt full tilt boggie death wobble, nothing compares, Now that will make you stop and pray by the side of the road.And clean out your shorts...

Just finished the front brakes, shimmy is gone! I'd had the tires rotated and balanced, which helped. I'd swapped pads a while ago, but the rotors seemed fine and I just slapped the new pads on. I used ceramic pads, and the rotors had been turned by the PO, so my guess is that the ceramic pads heated the rotors up enough to cause one or both to warp. Now I gotta go through the "Oh shit, this isn't how the brakes are supposed to work!" break in period again!

But at least it doesn't shake and the braking is smoooooothhhh!

Many, many years ago when I was in college taking one of the automotive design courses, the rule of thumb that they told us was that wheel shimmy that starts at about 35-40 mph is usually front wheels out of balance. If it appears at 55-60, it is usually rear wheels out of balance. That was back when all cars were still rear wheel drive.

I guess the general idea is to re-balance the tires. I'll try it, but I really don't think that's it. It should have moved, when I rotated the tires, but hell, stranger things have happened.

It's not death wobble for sure. I had that before on this one, and while driving my buddy's XJ on 35's. That will make you clean out your pants.

Like I said, it's not bad, most people wouldn't even notice it. It's more the fact that this damned thing is beating me, and I can't figure it out!

Not to discount any suggestions, they are all worth checking, but how about caster? My 90 and 92 drive very differently, in terms of steering wheel response. I have often wondered if a slight difference in caster could contribute to shimmy. I may need alignment in my thinking!

Goldschlager said:
Ive had my alignment re-done, and tires rebalanced........ nothin'. I get the same wobble.

Did they give you a sheet with the figures on it? A few shops will balance to "good" if the rim is slightly bent, they wont bother even telling you that they couldn't get you wheel "zeroed" out. Especially if you run a 4wd. I know my brother used to own an alignment/muffler shop, and becouse it was in truck country they used to see alot of slightly bent rims, and they could get them back pretty close to balanced and with a proper alignment, most trucks would never have a problem. Unfortunatley, our XJ's do. either re-check you castor, or balance. A speed related shimmy is almost always related to balance. If its not a speed related shimmy, you have a lot of front end peices to check. Good Luck

My wifes 2000 is doing the exact same thing. It has had this shimmy since the new tires went on it. We have taken it back to Sears for a re-balance more than once and it hasn't changed. I know it needs an alignment and I suggested that she get that done while I am in Turkey. If after the alignment the 55mph shimmy is still there it's goin back to Sears and I'm gonna have to insist that the tires be pulled off the rims, inspected and re-mounted and balanced

its' out of round tires, they'll never roll smooth, even with perfect balance

had this problem on my 92 until recently,

got 4 new BFG's mounted, rides like silk now.

My jeep does this, but at any speed above 55 and doesn't go away. :( It also wanders ALL over the road and the stearing has about 2" of play in it.

i had this same problem its now fixed........
my trak bar would keep coming loose and pissing me off.....
i found the reason for this was that the lower ball jonit on my drivers side knuckle was really loose
it had spin the cotter pin and just cept going getting the trashed pin out was fun
but once i got it out and tightened the nut w/ so lock tite on it its all better

91', 6.5" lift, 35s

also since you have the money to dump into a new front end why dont you try joining NAXJA

-nick

Back