• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifting problems

Re: shifting broblems

it wont start in nutral now. maybe after i cleaned the NSS i didnt put it back in the exact same place.

X2 on the alignment of the NSS. Also did you use dielectric grease on the inside surface of it before putting back together? :wierd:

Re: shifting broblems

Yes I did use the grease and on the pieaces on the arm inside. I haven't had time to adjust it yet but the last 2 days its been working good but still doesn't start in nutral but I'm gonna adjustg it soon

i adjusted the NSS today and it now starts in neutral. but if im going down the road and shut it off and restart it in neutral with the jeep moving then the shifts go back to being messed up and the torque converter only locks up if i put the pedal all the way to the floor and unlocks as soon as i let up. but as soon as i stop put it in park shut it off and restart it again like normal then its fine. idk if i didnt set it right still but im pretty sure its right. but do you guys know if this is a common problem or if this is even a problem or if it could be the sorce of the original problem. i feel like im getting real close to fixing this thing the problem doesnt seem to occur nearly as often as it did before. any and all help or advice is welcome. thank you all very much for your time.

Last edited:
well ive noticed a patter the last few days. it will only mess up in the morning when its cooler outside but after work when its 90 out it runs great all day long. havent had a cooler day after work yet to see if the temp change is the real cause. idk still not fixed and its driving me insane. and its eating my gas up in the morning

just to clear it up after i unpluged the TCU and pluged it back in the problem has gone away and has not come back i believe there was some corrosion on the plug

just to clear it up after i unpluged the TCU and pluged it back in the problem has gone away and has not come back i believe there was some corrosion on the plug

Congratulations. I think I'll add that to my trans plug refreshing write-up.

Cruiser’s Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.
Additionally, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.
Revised 9-09-2012

Last edited:
Back