• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaver Lk, Dusy/Ershim Wheeling

tcharon

NAXJA Forum User
Hay guys, anyone interested in a weekend or more camping & wheeling around there in June, maybe the end or early July. We could center out of Shaver Lake, campground, townX& motel area then wheel any number of the 9 runs,Xof which 6 are rated difficult, all within 15 miles. Snow should be gone before Tahoe opens. I might go down for a stint with 2 weekends.
Thom

Hay guys, anyone interested in a weekend or more camping & wheeling around there in June, maybe the end or early July. We could center out of Shaver Lake, campground, townX& motel area then wheel any number of the 9 runs,Xof which 6 are rated difficult, all within 15 miles. Snow should be gone before Tahoe opens. I might go down for a stint with 2 weekends.
Thom

Hey Thom,
I have been wanting to run the Dusy Ershim for a couple years now...

Last summer I spoke with the National Forest about that trail, and they told me the trail does not open before August 1 regardless of how much snow.... and usually it will sometime after that depending on how much tree removal is required after the winter (I think it opened mid-August last year).

There has been very little snow this year, so maybe they will open it early this year. If the Dusy trail is open when you plan on going, I would be very interested in joining.

Mike

Hey Thom,
I have been wanting to run the Dusy Ershim for a couple years now...

Last summer I spoke with the National Forest about that trail, and they told me the trail does not open before August 1 regardless of how much snow.... and usually it will sometime after that depending on how much tree removal is required after the winter (I think it opened mid-August last year).

There has been very little snow this year, so maybe they will open it early this year. If the Dusy trail is open when you plan on going, I would be very interested in joining.

Mike
I hear ya Mike, but just no snow and there are 8 other trails in that area real close. We could even do 1 day runs in and out from each end of Dusy & never get to the center, high elevation of the trail. I have a nice chain saw & you young duds are healthy.

I hear ya Mike, but just no snow and there are 8 other trails in that area real close. We could even do 1 day runs in and out from each end of Dusy & never get to the center, high elevation of the trail. I have a nice chain saw & you young duds are healthy.

Tom, they don't open the gates across the trail until the local club goes through and cuts down the tress and verifies the snow is gone. Bald Mtn Trail is always open, doesn't close down in winter, so that can be run. Red Lake and Mirror Lake open first, and Brewer Lake, then Coyote Lake and Swamp Lake, then Dusy, all based on snow on the shady sides of parts of the routes. You can call the Forest Service office to check on route openings before you go.

Tom, they don't open the gates across the trail until the local club goes through and cuts down the tress and verifies the snow is gone. Bald Mtn Trail is always open, doesn't close down in winter, so that can be run. Red Lake and Mirror Lake open first, and Brewer Lake, then Coyote Lake and Swamp Lake, then Dusy, all based on snow on the shady sides of parts of the routes. You can call the Forest Service office to check on route openings before you go.

Thanks, understand, I'll keep an eye on the Fresno club's site also to see what's happening. When are you getting out there?

Dont forget "Route Designation".
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5326322.pdf

Swamp Lake opens July 1st, and Dusy opens August 1st, If they are clear. Both close November 1st, if the snow doesnt close them first.

FYI.
Coyote, Brewer, and Mirror have June 15 as their open date.

Sierra NF - 559.855.5355

k.

No, Route Designation came from the most recent federally mandated route inventory that was completed within the last couple of years. Certain closure dates were implemented due to potential erosion issues on certain trails.

How official are those dates, are they from the Sierra Club?

Officially they come from the Fed. Unofficially they came from the greenies during the route designation process.
If you look up the different trails in the pdf of the ROD I linked, they list the reason(s) for the dates on each trail. Swamp is for erosion control, Dusy is for erosion and riparian. Specifically, Dusy will not open early because of the breeding habits of a toad (riparian).

The dates are set in stone. Some people believe the forest manager can magically open the trails sooner in dry years, but it'll never happen. Plan accordingly. ;)

k.

Call 559-855-5355 ext 3302 for latest trail info before heading up there.

I've been going up there at least once a year since 1987 and never get tired of the area....Red/Coyote lakes are my favorites.

Hans

Officially they come from the Fed. Unofficially they came from the greenies during the route designation process.
If you look up the different trails in the pdf of the ROD I linked, they list the reason(s) for the dates on each trail. Swamp is for erosion control, Dusy is for erosion and riparian. Specifically, Dusy will not open early because of the breeding habits of a toad (riparian).

The dates are set in stone. Some people believe the forest manager can magically open the trails sooner in dry years, but it'll never happen. Plan accordingly. ;)

k.

A set date, years ahead, sounds like a dumb burocrat with no understanding of snowpack. Do you think we're loosing our trails?

No, actually the route designation was a good step to keep them open. They are (permanently?) designated as routes for motorized use. They would have to be lost through a law suit settlement. The closed/open times actually help to prevent a legitimate legal challenge. Believe me, there was a lot of effort put into the new route designations, we shouldn't be too critical. Those trails in the Shaver Lake area rarely, if ever, opened before those dates anyway, so it doesn't matter very much.

Thanks for explaining Richard. You understand my thought about no correction for changes in nature & I understand the importance of keeping things protected out there. May plan Sand Hallow, UT for June, or just do the lower trails around Shaver.

Thanks for explaining Richard. You understand my thought about no correction for changes in nature & I understand the importance of keeping things protected out there. May plan Sand Hallow, UT for June, or just do the lower trails around Shaver.

Those trails up at shaver not only are fun, but really scenic. You can really get away from reality on the Swamp lake loop. Totally worth doing and waiting for it to open up. There should be a few of us from SoCal on the annual Swamp Lake run up there late August.

We just got a ton of snow this past weekend so I hope that doesn't mess with the opening dates!

Back